Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq nc6400
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Compaq nc6400 is running Win 10 pretty well, but lists several devices as not having drivers.

Specifically, it lists:

-  Mass Storage Controller

-  PCI Simple Communications Controller

-  Unknown Device (I think this is the fingerprint reader, which does not work)

Paul_Tikkanen lists in an archived topic that he has Win 10 running on his nc6400 and I wanted to see if I could get his help.

Thanks a bunch.

Steve (ex deccie)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This is what I have done on all of my HP notebooks with the 3D driveguard hardware and SSD's.

Download and install this free file utility.  The 2nd file at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

https://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-Zip right click on the sp64144 file and select 7-Zip from the list.

Have 7-Zip Extract to:  and let it extract the file into its folder name (sp64144).

Once that is done, go to the device manager, click on the Unknown device needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option and browse to the driver folder that 7-Zip created.

Make sure the Include subfolders box is checked and the driver will install.

Then restart the PC.

Using this approach, you have the driver installed, but not the software that controls it.

Since a SSD has no moving parts, the hardware wouldn't do anything to it anyway, but this ensures it is dormant, and you have a 'clean' device manager.  Win - win.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi, Steve:

You need this driver for the Mass Storage Controller, and it may also install the PCI Simple Communications Controller.

This package contains the driver for the Texas Instruments PCI (TI-PCI) Cardbus (Media Card Reader) for the supported notebook/laptop models and operating systems.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp43501-44000/sp43509.exe

There can be one of several devices that Windows labels as Unknown.

Please post the hardware ID for the unknown device (and PCI Simple Communications Controller, if the above card reader driver didn't install the PCI Simple Communications Controller).

Use this guide for how to find the hardware ID for a device...

https://www.howtogeek.com/193798/how-to-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-the-device-manager/

HP Recommended

Yup, that worked. Thank you!

The unknown device ids are:

ACPI\VEN_HPQ&DEV_0004
ACPI\HPQ0004
*HPQ0004

Steve

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You need this driver for that device...

This package provides the HP 3D DriveGuard software for supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. HP 3D DriveGuard protects the hard drive by "parking the heads" if the notebook is accidentally dropped or is abruptly impacted by another object.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64001-64500/sp64144.exe

HP Recommended

Well, we need to talk about that. The disk is a Samsung 860 Evo SSD that their Magician software (including the RAPID performance optimization) recognizes pretty well.

With this in mind, do you think I should still be concerned about parking the heads?

HP Recommended

Could it cause a problem with the SSD?

HP Recommended

This is what I have done on all of my HP notebooks with the 3D driveguard hardware and SSD's.

Download and install this free file utility.  The 2nd file at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

https://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-Zip right click on the sp64144 file and select 7-Zip from the list.

Have 7-Zip Extract to:  and let it extract the file into its folder name (sp64144).

Once that is done, go to the device manager, click on the Unknown device needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option and browse to the driver folder that 7-Zip created.

Make sure the Include subfolders box is checked and the driver will install.

Then restart the PC.

Using this approach, you have the driver installed, but not the software that controls it.

Since a SSD has no moving parts, the hardware wouldn't do anything to it anyway, but this ensures it is dormant, and you have a 'clean' device manager.  Win - win.

HP Recommended

Yessir - all clean as can be. You are the King,  Paul.

Thank you again for all.

Steve

HP Recommended

Anytime, Steve.

Glad to have been of assistance.

A SSD does pep things up in the nc6400, but I was disappointed to discover the mobile version of the Intel 945 chipset only supports SATA I speeds, while the desktop Intel 945 chipset version supports SATA II.

Paul

HP Recommended

It is all relative to me. The last benchmark I ran was 447 MB/s sequential reads, and 376 writes.

I had to upgrade to 4MB of system memory to run the RAPID utility, but I think reads were about 120 before that.

I was waiting on disk quite often before the upgrade, with monitor showing it at 100%. Now my CPUs (2 Mhz) will be chugging at 100% but the disk rarely sits at 10% for very long. 

And...  I am having a ball running Win 10 on this "old" machine with upgrades here and there, and help from folks like you. Kind of like driving a 20 year old car that has been restored and runs like a top!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.