Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15

Hello,

Since the last update I've had nothing but issues. The volume faded, then I downloaded the new driver and the mic was no longer working. Now at least those work but now when I download a file from the internet it is forcing me to save to a location, where before a pop up would show at the bottom, I would click it and it would open in the browser. I would prefer not to have to save files to a location and have it just open. 

I've checked with Chrome settings and it is set correctly so this is from the latest download.

Please help.

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@BrentM13, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Are you using Win 10 OS on the computer?

This seems like an issue with the Google Chrome browser. Windows update do not control the settings on a browser.

Let us try these steps:

Ideally, when you click “Download” (in Chrome) you’ll have this icon show up in the lower-left corner of your computer screen.

1Download

If you click the dropdown arrow (right next to the word “gif” in the image above) you get 3 options:

2Save

By now, the file is already downloaded to the Downloads folder on your computer. Clicking the dropdown menu only gives you additional options.

• Open – this will open the file in the default program for this file type (for GIF it is typically Edge, PNG / JPEG is usually Paint, WMV is usually Windows Media Player, and PPTX is PowerPoint)
  • Always open files of this type. This changes the default setting so instead of saving the file, it will open it in the default program, then let you choose whether or not to save the file.  This is where it gets very tricky and can easily wreak havoc later.
  • Show in folder – this opens the folder (usually downloads folder) containing the file, so you can then move it, open it, etc. at your discretion.

Check the settings

Click on the  3 dots at the right top corner > Go to Settings > Scroll down to Advanced > Downloads > Turn off "Ask where to save each file before downloading".

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, 

Yes, I'm using Windows 10. That pop up in the bottom left corner is what usually was the first thing to happen. But since the latest update from HP, the first step has now become a screen for saving it in a specific location. If I click cancel nothing happens so I have to save it for that pop up to occur. This is totally new. My Chrome settings are set the same and haven't changed. I've even tried changing the settings to what it is doing, restart the computer, change it back, restart again and no difference.

This is what pops up as soon as I click on a file to download. I have to save it in order for it to open.

BrentM13_0-1595781298567.png

Please further help

HP Recommended

To further support the problem, this is my Chrome settings. The download location isn't even the same anymore as you can see in my last post it is c:This PC/Documents compared to below where it is sending me now

BrentM13_0-1595781561988.png

HP Recommended

@BrentM13,

By default, all the downloads on the Chrome browser go to the Downloads folder. You need to change the default location if you prefer the downloads to be saved to a different location.

Meanwhile, I recommend you uninstall the Chrome browser and reinstall it again and check if it helps.

Let me know how it goes.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.