Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z820 Workstation
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 (64-bit)

Greetings, dear community members.

Some time ago I started getting the following error during power-on check.

I haven't ever removed either CPU or RAM units from the motherboard.

Could you suggest a troubleshooting please?

Thank you very much in advance.

942-Memory Training Error (code 301c) (2)_.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

try looking on the inside of the side cover, the user service manual, or use google to see the memory placement

if the error message follows the location of the ram swap the ram module is bad

if the error stays at the same memory location, either the cpu or the motherboard is at fault

in your case the error location changed to the socket that the suspect ram was installed so it's obvious the module is

failing replace it the reasion the windows mem diag tool does not see it is because thes workstations have the ability to

map out failing/failed ram on boot.

when the bios tests the ram, and finds a bad module, it simply alerts you and then removes the ram from the available ram pool total of available ram.

information like this is found in the user and service manuals for the z820 RTFM!!!  do so will make you understand a lot more about your system!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

reseat ram module in the slot that is giving you the error.

if the error persists swap ram with another ram module of the same size

if still getting error in new socket after swap memory module is going bad, replace module

HP Recommended

Thank you for the suggesion.

How do I find a map of RAM module location on the motherboard?

HP Recommended

Oh, I found white labels in the vicinity of the RAM modules :generic:

I swapped DIMM 3 with DIMM 4 on CPU and got the following error:

DIMM 4 on CPU 1 experienced an error during training (CODE 301c)

This means that system does not like RAM module currently installed in DIMM 4 on CPU 1.

On the other hand I left the workstation with Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool with Extended test and got no errors (see below).

How should I interpret this: bad RAM module or something else?

Thank you.

IMG_20180322_085436_.jpgIMG_20180322_085403_.jpg

HP Recommended

try looking on the inside of the side cover, the user service manual, or use google to see the memory placement

if the error message follows the location of the ram swap the ram module is bad

if the error stays at the same memory location, either the cpu or the motherboard is at fault

in your case the error location changed to the socket that the suspect ram was installed so it's obvious the module is

failing replace it the reasion the windows mem diag tool does not see it is because thes workstations have the ability to

map out failing/failed ram on boot.

when the bios tests the ram, and finds a bad module, it simply alerts you and then removes the ram from the available ram pool total of available ram.

information like this is found in the user and service manuals for the z820 RTFM!!!  do so will make you understand a lot more about your system!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.