Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issues? Click here for tips and tricks.
HP Recommended
Z2 g5 mini workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have just ordered a z2 g5 mini yesterday evening. I was considering to update the ssd after I received it. Does the z2 g5 mini support pcie4.0 ssd? I went to the website it just mentioned it support pcie but there is no information about the specific tech spec.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Go find the QuickSpecs document for your Mini G5... the spec there is PCIe Gen3 for the two M.2 storage sockets. 

I'm assuming you have one occupied by your HP boot M.2 NVMe SSD, and that your second M.2 storage socket would be occupied later by the PCIe M.2 NVMe SSD drive you are planning to buy.  HP ones from the QuickSpecs should work fine... HP usually has special firmware on its M.2 drives and other brand ones may or may not work.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Not sure on the PCIe generation 4 question... and this post below has to do with adding a 2.5" form factor SATA SSD or HDD.  Your question may be directed to a M.2 NVMe SSD instead.  If so this information may help another Z2 Mini G5 owner instead.

HP put out a nice YouTube video showing the Z2 Mini G5 user access into the internals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwRZMSN0f2M

Note that this one shows the 2.5" SATA drive carrier in place at about 4:15 in to the video.  There are other videos that don't show that present and maybe you only get that if you order it at the time of your purchase.  Better check on that... and you want to make sure you get the special SATA data/power cable that would be needed to use the carrier.

There is a forum post on a special SATA data/power cable for the earlier G3 version  HERE .

This is what hopefully you'll see when you open up your Mini G5:

Z2 G5 Mini 2.5 inch SATA drive carrier.jpg

You can't see the picture until a moderator releases it...

In this video, we will see how to repair and replace various parts when servicing or upgrading your HP Z2 Mini G5 computer. Follow the steps in this video to properly remove the specific parts and then safely install the replacement parts for sustained or improved performance. You can directly ...
HP Recommended

Thank you. But you’re showing me how to add sata drive.

what I want is the ssd. I want to know if it supports pcie 4.0 ssd. If it supports pcie 4.0, I’m going to buy pcie4 ssd for it. So please let me know if it supports pcie4.0 ssd.

HP Recommended

Terminology....  There are SATA SSDs (in both M.2 and 2.5" form factors) and PCIe SSDs (with AHCI or NVMe controllers), and more.

My guess is that you are referring to wanting to add a PCIe M.2 form factor NVMe drive, and that your current HP boot drive is also in the workstation on its way.

As far as the PCIe generation 4 question... maybe you want to call the seller?  We're not HP... this is a HP user forum and we only have access to the same documents you do.  Good luck on your project.

HP Recommended

Oh ok. Thank you.

HP Recommended

Go find the QuickSpecs document for your Mini G5... the spec there is PCIe Gen3 for the two M.2 storage sockets. 

I'm assuming you have one occupied by your HP boot M.2 NVMe SSD, and that your second M.2 storage socket would be occupied later by the PCIe M.2 NVMe SSD drive you are planning to buy.  HP ones from the QuickSpecs should work fine... HP usually has special firmware on its M.2 drives and other brand ones may or may not work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.