Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
XW8600

Hello all,

I've lost my keys for the chassis case of my XW8600. I'm wondering if the keys for the XW6200 or other XW-Series workstation fit for the XW8600?

If they are not the same, which part-no does the keys for XW8600 have and where do I get it?

Could anyone please help?

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Otto

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

the answer is yes and no, while the basic key size is the same HP used several diffrent key codes on said keys

i don't know how many diffrent keyings there were but i suspect it was not that many so buying/aquiring the keys will at some point give you a working key

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

the answer is yes and no, while the basic key size is the same HP used several diffrent key codes on said keys

i don't know how many diffrent keyings there were but i suspect it was not that many so buying/aquiring the keys will at some point give you a working key

HP Recommended

Hello,

thanks for your quick response.

I passed my XW8600 to somebody and I couldn't test another key.

Kind regards

HP Recommended

I have never seen more than the one key code, personally, over many of the HP workstations from that era forward.

HP Recommended

Note that the original post was for the physical lock the HP workstations have on the side panel to prevent access to the inside of the workstation. the post below refers to the microsoft Windows Key used for OS activation and  while not directly related to the original poster's question might be usefull nonetheless

note that the xw6200/8600 systems were EOL before windows 7 was released, so offically the win 7 activation changes do not apply when talking about XP or previous OS's

the xw6200/8600 systems were made when the MS serial label on the side was a actual valid key and each one was a unique Retail key, and would activate windows on any hardware configuration

later on MS stopped allowing windows activation via this method

there were many cases where a buyer of a floor model would at some point try to reformat the system and use the key from the label and be told by the Ms activation servers that the key was allready in use because someone had copied the key and used it previously.

the later ms key labels have a number on them (prooving ms got it's cut from the windows OS) buy it's no longer a valid retail key, with the newer serial labels you have to call ms and either speak to a person, or use a automated phone  service which takes that key from the side notes the hardware it was orignally attached to  HP/Dell/Lenovo and so on and confirms the new hardware closely matches the original. IE-Dell to Dell, HP- to HP.

if you had or have a tier one system that performed auto activation of the OS using the MS vender assigned windows key that used the bios string, plus a vender certificate then you usually did not even need to worry about Ms activation keys. the venders OEM OS disk was all that was required to install/activate windows

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/activation.html

make sure to read the link above, and then at the end of the article click on the

"Changes to Windows XP Product Activation in Service Pack 1"  link

HP Recommended

DGroves..... we'll both chuckle over this..... 

One of us is right... I thought he was asking about the silver physical case lock key.  Those have a code on their butt end, and that has always been the same code from what I have seen.  Each workstation comes with 2 identical keys so I've given away backups to my buddies who really want to lock down their boxes.

Given the millions of identical keys out there I advise they supplement with a real lock......

Best,  Scott

HP Recommended

on the case keys, you are correct that was his question, my bad.... i was wrong for not reading the op's post compleatly as i now see the header plainly states "chassis"  i  will leave the reply as is, with the note about Case locks as changing/editing the whole reply might cause more issues

on the case lock, i have a xw6200 case that now holds a asus x99 board and  i have 2 xw8600 case's and the xw6200 uses a diffrent key from the 8600 you are correct in that HP only used a very limited set of keyings for the locks so it's fairly easy to get a key that also matches other systems  it's also possible to drill out the existing lock and replace it as a replacement lock/key can be bought on ebay

i keep a small container filled with keys from unknown (in most cases) systems/servers/removable drive enclosures, that i sometimes use when a key gets lost and in a few cases had the correct key!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.