Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z620 workstation
Linux

I have a new to me workstation that had WIn 7 installed.   I need to install CentOS 7.

BIOS screens indicate system has 2 disks, and system booted to Win 7 on arrival.

When I attempted to install CentOS 7 (using usb drive and CentOS-7-x86_64-DVD-1810.iso), I system did not find disks to install.     I attempted bios adjustments to ensure that security was not preventing me from accessing hard drives.

On next attempt to install, boot failed with 6 beeps from system.

Made an attempt to "hard reset" bios (unplug device - hold power button for 15 sec) without success.

Could use some ideas both to get BIOS back to where I can install OS, and any settings required to allow LInux to be installed on system disks.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

first of all not documentating what you changed in the bios is what lead you to the current problem

in the future do not change settings you have no understanding of and make notes of what you do change

to reset most systems  (the HP z series included) requires you to power off, remove power cord, then press power button for 7 sec AND THEN PRESS EITHER THE CMOS RESET BUTTON ON THE MOTHERBOARD FOR 5 SEC, OR REMOVE THE CMOS BATTERY FOR 5 SEC AND THEN REPLACE

the HP z620 has a cmos reset button,.....read the z620 service manual (google for it)

last, is the os you want to install on it's supported systems list?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.