Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

the links you provide are simply two different nvme interfaces, they have nothing to do with the nvme protocol itself.

both of your examples are nvme, all that differs is the interface with the common consumer M.2 format using PCI-e for data access and the other using the intel U.2 interface for data access which is usually only found on enterprise drives

again,....the interface used does not change the protocol,...both are still nvme and not bootable on most x79 or older legacy systems

i'm going to take a educated guess that those links/sites you mention are from people who have MODIFIED their existing bios to include the nessary nvme boot Oprom which the factory bios's lack adding the missing nvme code to older motherboard bios's can be done for quite a few older x79 boards from the major board makers like Asus,gigabyte, MSI, and some OEM systems from Dell and HP

the nvme spec was not developed/released until very late in the x79 chipset timeframe as such almost no x79 board from that era had bootable nvme support

what may confuse people is the fact that there are brand new x79 boards from china that do have nvme support!!!

these china made boards from 2018/2019 are new board designs and use a mixture of old/new intel motherboard chipsets

and the board makers have included nvme support however thes boards are very limited in expansion ability compared to the older x79 based boards they usually only have 2 mem slots and one or two pci-e slots (but this does vary somewhat)

HP Recommended

Ah, in these cases, they didn't reported that they modded bios.

And you're right, China is a wonderland;-)

HP Recommended

DGroves,

There appears to  be a correlation of the Samsung 9X0 PRO series: 950, 960, and 970  as establishing high performance NVMe disk benchmarks as boot drives in z420's.  The ability to use the 950 PRO NVMe in a z-X20 is well-known and  my speculation is the subsequent models in that series, 960 and 970 appear to work in the same way. I don't consider that loading drivers, a legacy boot setup, or a self-installing .exe. BIOS module a "modification"- these are all  standard manufacturer's installation sequences.

Our friend Roison described the PM963 NVMe working as a boot drive in a z420, without BIOS modifications and as there are several benchmark results for the PM 961, the other speculation -question- is as to whether the PM96X series is another NVMe possibility for zX20's. I look forward to Roison benchmark results on his system on Passmark. If the 950, 960, and 970 PRO and PM96X drives can work in zX20's through standard installations, that is very good news!

In summary,  in view of the multiple benchmarks results. demonstrate that certain models of Samsung  M.2 NVMe do  work as a boot drive in zX20's and in my view , the 950 PRO installation is not in the category of modification.

BambiBoomZ

HP Recommended

BambiBoomZ,....i personally own two samsung pm961 ssd's which are the "OEM" variants of the "SM961" and can personally attest that they don't/will not boot on a z820 ( i have two z820 systems)

while the z820 is a nvme enabled bios, HP never added the necessary nvme boot code to it's bios, and due to how hp checksums the bios no easy way currently exists (that i am aware of) to modify the bios to add the nessary nvme code.

as such the only Samsung nvme SSD that is known to work is the sm950 pro... due to Samsung including the necessary legacy nvme boot code in the ssd's firmware

and for others who are still not convinced,...you can contact Samsung support directly via email and ask them

HP Recommended

I believe one of the users on the forum (scoobis) has added the code to a Z820, I'll try and dig up the thread

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.