Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z600
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I wish to find a suitable cooler for my HP Z600.

The original part it is no longer available.

In fact I wish to change both of them, the original one it is already 5 years old.

So if you have some experience , maybe you can help me.

Bolt connection it is a square 80 mm.

The spring bolt a 3mm?

The original cooler has a height of 95mm

The space to insert the cooler, betwen socket 0 and 1, it is also different.

From my point of view even U3 cooler it is too big.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

No way!

I just payed 250  USD for a HP Z600, single core.

Second CPU cost 20, brand new.

A cooler for 75 USD, second hand, is just insane.

All I ask was from your experience if you manage to insert another cooler.

A height 95 mm, it is very rare among coolers, but 115-120 it is not unusual.

I noticed the vga coolers are 80x80mm on the base, very rare they execeed 50 mm in heigh.

Any vga cooler will cope at list 100watt.

Also I found water cooler for vga 80x80 base, brand new, very cheap.

HP Recommended

Good morning,

Anybody try to insert this cooler:

NOCTUA NH-D9dXi4 3U

has a foot print 95x95

height 110

It is expensive , but it is brand new, at list

I just order an SpireSP532S7,and bolts 3mm, spring and washer  for Xeon 1366.

I will unscrew te bracket , reversed in position and will make a test.

This cooler has a foot prin 80x80 and height 95mm.

The only drawback it is the fan 3 pin, fix speed 2200, aluminiu build 100%

He can cope up to 95 watt CPU.

Cost me a fraction, around 15USD.

I could not  find a intel base cooler, with copper insertion. They become rare without notice, intel plans to drop this socket, my opinion has a long life. My Z600 support 2 hexacore resulting 24 core!

I am in UK , and my workstation went down couple times just because of heating, I just remove the lateral panel, during the games and everything was OK.

I just inserted a GTX 660(MSI with heatpipes) and activate the hypertreading CPU from bios.

Should be a way to adapt the 775 coolers for 1366 socket, a frame or something else.

HP Recommended

I also just got a refurbished Z600 with 2x Xenon x5550, 24gb of ram.

I added a Quadro 4000, 240gb Intel SSD, 2TB WD Red Pro Hard drive.

A beast IMHO.

But I have an overheating problem. And now im desperately looking for a solution to cool down my CPUs. At full load it heats up to 100°C  :Crying:

I noticed that the company that refurbished it, used non original fans on the heatsink

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i39tcepxzxy9hou/CameraZOOM-270920161415.jpg?dl=0 )

Do you think are those the problem? They get really loud.

Im also looking for a water cooling solution, so any help would be apriciated!

Thank you.

M

HP Recommended

Mic-E,

Yes, 100C is well over the Intel rating of 75C for the X5550.

I do not have experience with the z600, having two z420 and a z620,  but looking at images of z600's and considering the way the z620 is configured for cooling- quite careful clearances and special position of nearby compoents and air path, my suggestion is to first consider buying  new or used HP CPU coolers on Ebay or similar. For example:

NEW HP CPU Heatsink with Fan for Z400 Z600 Z800 Workstations 463990-001 $39.99

The dimensions are crtitical.  The CPU cooler towards the rear panel has a very limited clearance to a tooless panel that appears to be the fan/shroud for memory cooling.

Otherwise,  as the z600 is Socket LGA1366,  it's possible to consider aftermarket fan .heatsinks or liquid cooling solutions, but take great care in selection as regarding dimensions. Personally, I'd use the standard HP coolers and install carefully using a good thermal paste such as Arctic Silver.

If the z600 has a similar BIOS setup to the z620, thre is a "Thermal" control that allows the fan idel speed to be advanced.  My z620 with two 8-core C{U's was running at about 45-48C at idle.  I advnaced the fan setiing 3 asterisks of the 6 possible and the ptemperatures are now 35C-39C.

I like LGA1366 very much and have two systems using it.  If you need a bit more fizz in your z600, I can highly recommend the X5677 4-core @ 3.47 /3.73Ghz and X5680 6-core @ 3.33 /3.6GHz.  The X5550 has a Passmark Single Thread Mark of 1250 whereas the X5677 = 1516. those cost about $60 in the US these days (9/16)

Cheers,

BambiBoomZ

z420  > Xeon E5- 1660 v2 / 32GB  / Quadro K4200 / Samsung SM951 (256GB)  + Intel 730  (480GB) + WD Black 1TB / Windows 7 Professional 64-bit > 2X Dell Ultrasharp U2715H

z620  > 2 X E5-2690 / 64GB / Quadro K2200 / HP Z Turbo Drive (256GB)  + Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB / Windows 7 Professional 64-bit > HP 2711x

z420 > Xeon E5-1920 / 24GB / Quadro 4000 / Samsung 840 250GB + WD RE 1TB > Win 7 Professional 64-bit > 2X Dell 24

HP Recommended

To the OP..... good luck in finding a non-HP heatsink that will fit on the Z600's motherboard amongst the components and side airflow shrouds.   There is the usual smaller "Mainstream" heatsink/fan for the Z600 and these were common and thus relatively cheap used off eBay.   And then there also is a Z600 "Performance" heatsink/fan which can be used with all power levels of the processors that are certified by HP for the Z600.  Those larger heatsink/fans are uncommon, and expensive used off eBay.  Both the Mainstream and Performance ones were custome made for the Z600 to HP specs by Foxconn.  The wiring of the Performance type of fan is a bit different, and that is how the motherboard knows that a Performance heatsink is attached.  The 4 spring loaded screws for each heatsink are 6-32, not M3.  The Mainstream and the Performance heatsinks for the Z600 and the Z800 are identical as are their spares and assembly part numbers.

The HP Z600 motherboard is a tight custom designed space..... there are two sockets, and one of the two requires the Performance heatsink/fan built for HP by Foxconn.  The other socket can accept that also, or a "Performance" level heatsink/fan that was also  built by Foxconn for HP for the single socket in the Z400.... to make ithat fit over one of the two Z600 sockets you only need to bend down the thin rear metal airflow deflector a bit.

For the other socket you really need a Z600 Performance heatsink/fan.  Why do I know?  I have a Version 2 Z400 and a Version 2 Z600 and bought two spare of the Performance Z400 fans partly to see if they'd fit in the Z600.  They are the same socket, after all.  So, that was my discovery.  The fans for the Z600 Performance and the Z400 Performance heatsink/fans are wired identically, by the way.  That is the only way the motherboard knows what is attached to those processor cooler headers.

My advice:  buy one of the Z600 HP Performance heatsink/fans used off eBay if you can find one, and buy another Z400 HP Performance heatsink/fan used for cheaper and bend down that air deflector.  Once you take a look it is clear what socket can accept which.

EDIT:  THE Z400 PERFORMANCE HEATSINK HAS HEAT TUBE TIPS THAT PROJECT UPWARDS ENOUGH TO KEEP THE SIDE LID OF A Z600 FROM FULLY CLOSING IN MANY CASES.  IT DOES NOT SEEM WORTH THE TROUBLE TO FIND A WORKAROUND TO THIS ISSUE.  RATHER, SEARCH OUT THE OFFICIAL Z600/Z800 PERFORMANCE HEATSINK/FAN WHICH DO NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM.

HP Recommended

Thank you guys for your input!

I recieved 2 original heatsinks from the company i bought the Z600 (they gave me a 1 year warranty).

Now the machine is quiet, i did a stress test, max 80°C 🙂 So I am now happy and relaxed 🙂

HP Recommended

Please see my post above regarding the fact that a "Performance" heatsink for the Z400 can fit in one of the two spaces for the Z600 processors.  For the second you will need to buy a true Z600/Z800 Performance heatsink (the Mainstream official heatsinks and the Performance official heatsinks for the Z600 and the Z800 are identical).... the Performance version is obviously larger both for the heatsink and its fan.

EDIT:  THE Z400 PERFORMANCE HEATSINK HAS HEAT TUBE TIPS THAT PROJECT UPWARDS ENOUGH TO KEEP THE SIDE LID OF A Z600 FROM FULLY CLOSING IN MANY CASES.  IT DOES NOT SEEM WORTH THE TROUBLE TO FIND A WORKAROUND TO THIS ISSUE.  RATHER, SEARCH OUT THE OFFICIAL Z600/Z800 PERFORMANCE HEATSINK/FAN WHICH DO NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM.

Pretty much all HP parts have two part numbers for the same thing.... an Assembly and a Spares part number.  Thus, you can search with google for both and may have more luck with one than the other.

Mainstream:  535586-001 = 463990-001      These have lower cooling capabilities, still can be pretty easily found, are used for the large majority of Z600s, are reasonable in price used off eBay, and because they are smaller they fit in easily.

Performance:  535588-001 = 463991-001      These are for the hotter processors such as the X5690 running at 130W max TDP, and were not used a whole lot in Z600/Z800 builds because those hotter processors were so expensive at the time.  They, thus, are much more difficult to find and are expensive even used.  They have larger surface area, run a larger fan, and are specially offset from the socket they are screwed to so that they just barely amongst the other motherboard components and side air flow shrouds (see pictures below showing that offset).  

One of the two sockets in a Z600 has more room than the other around it, and that is why a Performance Z400 fan can fit over that particular socket if you bend that Z400 heatsink's rear thin heatsink air deflection plate down a bit.  So, you can actually run a Z600 with two hot processors using one of the Z400 Performance heatsinks and one of the official Z600/Z800 Performance heatsinks.  Both heatsink fans are wired the same, which is how the motherboard detects presence of a Performance heatsink.  That trick can save you some significant funds.

I have posted on how the wiring of the fan is different between fans for a Mainstream versus a Performance heatsink, and that you can spoof the motherboard into thinking it has a Performance heatsink/fan attached when it is only a Mainstream heatsink/fan if you modify the Mainstream fan's wiring a bit.  This can be unwise unless you know what you are doing, and you should monitor whether your processor gets too hot for your type of work.  For example, if you wanted to run two X5690s in a Z600 for checking email and surfing the web you might get away with that spoof.  🙂

Now, comparing the Z600/Z800 Mainstream versus Performance heatsink/fans side by side.... these both screw onto  the LGA1366 sockets used in these workstations:

Front.jpg

side.jpg

top.jpg

Rear.jpg

HP Recommended

Very helpfulinformation 

Could you pls suggest me the best solutions for cooling 2 x5570 on z600 pls? 

And what about this part? 

463981-001 it's compatible with z600 ? 

thx in advice 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.