Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
EliteDesk 800 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an old EliteDesk 800 G2 TWR PC. It's an old PC but it still works fine.
I downloaded the file sp110675.exe from page https://support.hp.com/it-it/drivers/selfservice/hp-elitedesk-800-g2-tower-pc/7633297/model/7633302 in order to update BIOS from version 2.37 to version 2.51.
I launched the setup and choose the option "HP BIOS Update and Recovery (HPBIOSUPDREC) BIOS Flashing".
The procedure completed, the PC rebooted and the BIOS version is still 2.37.
Have I middes any relevant step?
Regards
marius

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There is no real need to update the bios on these. They are usually a good solid machine but I have seen problems like this with strange bios issues and never found the cause or solution.  Resetting the cmos or defaults may cause more issues than it solves. I had one that I reset and it just lost the onboard video for no reason.  I see you have plenty of experience and probably only came on here for last effort at help or ideas like myself!  I have run those machines hard and they did well without any updates. Good luck with your work.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-elitedesk-800-g2-tower-pc/7633297

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp110501-111000/sp110675.exe

download the bios sp file and run it (note the install path) to extract the enclosed files BUT DO NOT RUN THE UPDATER, cancel the actual update process, now go to the extracted  sp files folder and in there you should see a "DOS" folder go into this folder and look for a file that ends in xxxx.BIN copy this to a fat32 formatted usb key

place the key in a USB 2.0 port, reboot and enter the bios and from the bios use the update bios command, it should default to the usb key, if not tell it to do so and the updated bios bin file should be found and you should then get a update bios prompt follow prompts and remove usb key at end of update and power cycle system. you should now be on new bios

HP Recommended

Many thanks for the answer.

Does it mean that the setup program does not work?

Regards

marius

HP Recommended

Unfortunately this does not solve the Problem.

I have multiple EliteDesk 800 G2 and approximately half of them will not apply this Bios Update. I have tested the method using the HP Support Assistant as well as the manual approach using a USB Key.

HP Recommended

reset back to factory (not custom) defaults apply bios update

HP Recommended

What should I reset to factory default? The BIOS?

Is there any risk to compromise my data and applications?

Even more, is it worth updating the BIOS if the setup provided by HP does not work?

If the setup does not work should i trust the BIOS itself?

Regards

marius

HP Recommended

yes bios updates in general should be applied,....however based on your questions it appears you really don't know what your doing....... due to this i recommend you find a local shop who can do this for you and perhaps show you how to do it

or you may have a local computer user/user group who can also do this for you

HP Recommended

I've been working in the IT for the latest 40 years, so I don't think I need to look for a shop to manage my own home PC.

I spent large part of that time in software engineering, so I think I have at least basic knowledge about the development, testing, releasing and distribution process.

As a general rule, if HP releases an update I do install it, because I presume that all the components of the update were carefully tested, including the setup.

If the setup of an update fails I presume that there was some problem in the development or in the testing process, maybe simply because it is an old PC.

That's the reason because I won't install an update I don't trust and I’ll wait for a possible, future, working update.

Regards

marius

HP Recommended

I reset the bios settings back to factory defaults. Afterwards I used HP Support Assistant to apply the latest Bios Update. This time the Update was installed successfully.

Two points I am surprised of:

1. Normally the bios settings should not stop a bios update from being installed successfully
  2. All my machines have identical bios configurations. I deployed them with the HP BIOS Configuration Utility. Why would the setup only fail on some machines?

Side note: If you use BitLocker you might want to keep it in mind before resetting the bios settings. Either have your BitLocker key handy or temporarily pause BitLocker beforehand.

HP Recommended

There is no real need to update the bios on these. They are usually a good solid machine but I have seen problems like this with strange bios issues and never found the cause or solution.  Resetting the cmos or defaults may cause more issues than it solves. I had one that I reset and it just lost the onboard video for no reason.  I see you have plenty of experience and probably only came on here for last effort at help or ideas like myself!  I have run those machines hard and they did well without any updates. Good luck with your work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.