Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z230 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Z230 Workstation and I wanted to know whether I can use a GEFORCE GTX 1080 or GeForce GTX 1070 graphics card with it ? 

Thank You

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

the z230 only has a 320 watt standard supply with a optional 400 watt supply, if you have a 320 watt supply then the 1060 card (120 watts) is the max you can try

the larger workstations were speced for a video card and several other cards, all using aux power connections, but  the z230  is not  rated for that so you need to watch the wattage carefully as there may not be much leeway from HP's listed max

for the  z230 TOWER (not the SFF model), the 1070 should work without any problems using the optional 400 watt supply,  the NON "TI" 1080 which draws 180 watts might also work but is  over the max wattage allowed 1080 "TI" cards draw 230 watts and are way over the limit which will most likely cause a failed system rather quickly

the HP Listed high end cards offered on the z230 were the following:

High-end 3D:

• NVIDIA® Quadro® K4200  (108 watts needs stock 320 watt supply))
  • AMD FirePro™ W7000
  • AMD FirePro™ W7100  (150 watts, needs optional 400 watt supply)

• nvidia GTX 1070 (non "TI" model) 150 watts, needs optional 400 watt supply

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-1070/specifications

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1060/

https://www.salland.eu/pdf/HP%20Z230%20Workstation.pdf

HP Recommended

Thank you very much DGroves this is very helpful ! 

Will be using one of the High-end cards for sure :ThumbUp:

HP Recommended

I have the z230 SFF , would GEFORCE GTX 1080 or 1070 or 1060 work in that case ?

The other option I have is the HP Z240 SFF Workstation would that work with any of these graphic cards ?

HP Recommended

using Google, search for the model number's quickspecs,   read the HP "quickspecs" on both models, note the highest wattage card HP offers (usually the lowest in the list) now again using google note it's power draw, then make sure your card does not exceed this wattage

HP Recommended

That is really helpful. Thanks

HP Recommended

I have a z230 with a 400w psu so I can definitely get a 1070? What about any of the new RTX cards? Whats the best one I could use with that psu? I looked up that info like you said - the lowest gpu in the quick specs was a AMD FirePro W7100 8GB - 650w minimum - the rtx 2070 is 550w min 2080 is 650w min - I am not looking to get the 2080 but can I technically use a 2070?

HP Recommended

If you read carefully the manual of Z230 , it will support almost every card as long as it has a TDP of 150W max.

The AMD Fire Pro W7100 is a 150W card. Don't look at the power supply requirements of the cards because they are not for OEM PCs.
So technically your max upgrade would be a gtx 1070 and one of the founders editions or the basic ones. The ones like EVGA SC2 or Asus Strix have 170W TDP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.