Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 280 G2 Microtower-PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've did the update using the current HP 280 G2 MT / HP 280 G2 Pro MT System BIOS Update A0.45 Rev.A from the product page [1].

The Windows part went well: checked for compatibility, prepared the update, reboot.

During reboot a backup of the current BIOS was done, the new one saved and another reboot done.

So far all went as expected.

Problem: the pc does not display anything (including the BIOS start). I can connect to the pc by RDP and Windows reports there is no graphic card installed (previously Windows showed the internal Intel HD Graphics 530).

I've also tried different dedicated graphic cards but all were rejected with 3x long 3x short beep.

Applying the BIOS-Backup by pressing [WIN]+[B] during startup was tried, too - the expected 8x beep occured but there was no visible change. As I still can not install older BIOS versions (rejected as "not compatible", only A0.45 van be [re-]installed - without any change) I assume the new BIOS is still on the board.

Is this a known issue?

Does the BIOS provide a setting to completely turn the internal graphic card of? If yes: is it possible to turn it on using the running desktop?

[1] https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-280-g2-microtower-pc/8741823

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

(for systems that have a addon pci-e card)

some systems default to UEFI mode for the video bios with Legacy compatability mode disabled

Legacy mode is what allows older non uefi compatable video cards to work (display)

please check that your current video card has a UEFI, or UEFI/Legacy combo bios

during the bios upgrade it's possible that it reset some settings back to defaults (such as UEFI)

possible fix for onboard and addin video

power off

try removing any pci-e video cards from the system

press the power button to drain motherboard caps

press or short cmos reset for 3-5 sec

remove cmos battery for 45 min, then power system back on it should default to the onboard video

if it does, power off replace cmos and reset any bios settings that need changed from the defaults

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

(for systems that have a addon pci-e card)

some systems default to UEFI mode for the video bios with Legacy compatability mode disabled

Legacy mode is what allows older non uefi compatable video cards to work (display)

please check that your current video card has a UEFI, or UEFI/Legacy combo bios

during the bios upgrade it's possible that it reset some settings back to defaults (such as UEFI)

possible fix for onboard and addin video

power off

try removing any pci-e video cards from the system

press the power button to drain motherboard caps

press or short cmos reset for 3-5 sec

remove cmos battery for 45 min, then power system back on it should default to the onboard video

if it does, power off replace cmos and reset any bios settings that need changed from the defaults

HP Recommended

I hesitated to do a CMOS clean as I wasn't sure to be able to get in if there is some BIOS prompt which I cannot see...

After testing some other dedicated graphic cards (this time without any error code - but still monitor black during startup and still no graphic card found within the OS I've just gone the last approach of a CMOS clean.

Result:

Internal graphic provided output, BIOS was "updated" again [I find it very strange that this happens after a CMOS clean!], PC restarted and the GPU is still found.

Checked under Windows with CPU-Z - the BIOS has the exact same data as before the CMOS reset...

In any case: this issue can be closed and hopefully helps if some others look for this issue.

HP Recommended

here's a short reasion why the cmos reset works

on systems with onboard video, a bios update will sometimes include a video bios update also, and when you reset the system and restart the new bios it auto updates the onboard video bios (one time process till next vid bios update)

when you have a pci-e  video card installed the bios auto detects this and enables the pci-e card as the primary video and the onboard as secondary video (or disabled)

sometimes the bios update when updating the onboard video bios with a addin pci-e video card will cause the onboard video to get "lost" and fail to finish it's update,.. due to this the bios is unable to make the pci-e card or the onboard video the primary video resulting in a black screen

restting the cmos/ removing the [ci-e card removes information about the pci-e card and resets the bios to defaults  which usually allows the onboard video subsystem to finish it's update and then display video normally. once this happens the bios will now be able to auto detect any addin video cards and allow the bios to switch to it as a primary disply

HP Recommended

Hello to all,

i have actually the same Problem.

After pushing the firmware A0.45 the video card disappeared.

Now i have a black display.

I removed the CMOS Battery and switch the jumper one pin to the right sight for a while.

After that, the System didn´t come back, i have to click F1 to skip some questions, but i dont know what the question is.

My Display is black.  I can only connect via RDP. I can´t see Bios or else. I have installed the Application "BIOS Configuration Utility", over that i also set the bios values to default, but nothing helps.

What can i do ?

HP 280 G2 MT

Motherboard: 2B5E 1.00 

Now System-Bios: A0.45

CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz

Windows 10 x64

HP Recommended

if you have a addin video card, as per the directions you must first remove said card

HP Recommended

i have no additional cards in the pci -e slots.

HP Recommended

"i have to click F1 to skip some questions, but i dont know what the question is."

since the latest bios updated the "TPM" module, i'm going to ask if you are using the latest (april 2018) release of windows build 1803

if so, then i suspect you need to also update the intel AMT or TPM firmware

check Windows Defender Security Center for messages telling you that you need to update your security processor or TPM firmware during Windows update, follow the steps here

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4096377/windows-10-update-security-processor-tpm-firmware

To see the HP firmware files per model click here

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05792935

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.