Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Workstation Z420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Currently I have 6 SATA disks connected to my computer, I am trying to connect 1 more, which is detected without problems in the BIOS, but when I turn on windows, this disk does not appear.
The disk is OK, because if I connect it by USB (with an adapter) it is recognized without problems in windows.

That could be happening?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

if you connect the problem drive to a sata port that has a working drive is it then seen in windows/bios? or just swap the problem drive/port with a working drive/port are both drives seen? if not is the problem drive now on a previously working port/cable/pwr no longer seen in windows?

what is the EXACT drive model number? i've seen people try to connect SAS drives to SATA ports (not in your case)which will not work and i've also seen non std sector sized drives using custom sectoring instead of 512/4k sectors so at this stage i'm not going to assume anything

HP Recommended

I have solved the problem by "organizing" the discs in another way, I don't quite understand what is happening, but everything is ok, for now!

Thanks!

HP Recommended

i suspect the issue was the drive letter that was causing the problem.

if you have two drives with the same letter the second drive to be seen by windows will not show due to this until you enter disk management and manually assign that drive to a free (different) drive letter

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.