Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP z840
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone!

I have a HP z840 Workstation and a HP Z Drive (G1) as Main drive. This one got dusty the last 2 years and I want to replace it with the new Samsung 960 Pro.

Is it possible to replace the SSD on the HP Z drive with the 960 Pro SSD and use the HP card as the new SSD holder?

Thanks in advance,

best regards,

Granroyal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Granroyal wrote:

Hello everyone!

I have a HP z840 Workstation and a HP Z Drive (G1) as Main drive. This one got dusty the last 2 years and I want to replace it with the new Samsung 960 Pro.

Is it possible to replace the SSD on the HP Z drive with the 960 Pro SSD and use the HP card as the new SSD holder?

Thanks in advance,

best regards,

Granroyal

Not sure that it is worth going this route - the Z Drive G1 has an AHCI style controller, while the 960 Pro is NVMe.

For the 960 Pro you could get a $5 m.2 to PCIe adapter card from e.g. Ali Express or - at a higher price ($20-25) - the Asus Hyper m.2 PCIe expansion card. Both would work fine with the 960 Pro.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Granroyal wrote:

Hello everyone!

Thanks in advance,

best regards,

Granroyal

Not sure that it is worth going this route - the Z Drive G1 has an AHCI style controller, while the 960 Pro is NVMe.

For the 960 Pro you could get a $5 m.2 to PCIe adapter card from e.g. Ali Express or - at a higher price ($20-25) - the Asus Hyper m.2 PCIe expansion card. Both would work fine with the 960 Pro.

HP Recommended

Ok thanks alot!

best regards,

Granroyal

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.