Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
l8t12av-Z240 Tower workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I cannot find any information explaining how to RAID 0 two Z turbo Drive G2's as per the product specification to allow me to use as boot device.

The CTRL-I option does not appear at post, so I cannot select either drive and configure raid. I also have no idea how to configure "PCH Lane Remapping"

Has anyone had any experience in configuring the Z240 in this arrangement, and if so, how do I do it?

Below is a screen shot of the information found here clearly stating that it is possible to use two of these NVMe drives in RAID 0 as boot device on the Z240... Information very thin on the ground past this!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Z240 Raid configurations.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have solved the problem... Bit convoluted but for those interested...

1. F10 into bios, select advanced tab> Option Rom Launch policy > Set to "All UEFI Except Video" (And save)
  2. Still in Advanced Tab, Select  Sytem Options> Select (check/tick) "RST Remapping" (And Save)
  3. Save BIOS changes and reboot.

I then installed another HDD and built windows 10 on this drive. Once booted into Windows 10, I selected Intel RST and set up a RAID0 stripe using the (now found) M.2 and PCIe NVMe ssd's.

I then removed the additional HDD, and performed a fresh install of Windows 10 using the latest W10 DVD available from HP which includes the correct drivers, meaning that the RAID0 I had created was visible to the installation.

Seems to be working ok now.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Terramonkey wrote:

I cannot find any information explaining how to RAID 0 two Z turbo Drive G2's as per the product specification to allow me to use as boot device.

The CTRL-I option does not appear at post, so I cannot select either drive and configure raid. I also have no idea how to configure "PCH Lane Remapping"

Has anyone had any experience in configuring the Z240 in this arrangement, and if so, how do I do it?

Below is a screen shot of the information found here clearly stating that it is possible to use two of these NVMe drives in RAID 0 as boot device on the Z240... Information very thin on the ground past this!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Z240 Raid configurations.jpg

I briefly had a look at the quickspecs: http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04760707.pdf

THey mention that one Z turbo drive should be installed in the onboard m.2 slot and the other in a pcie 3.0 x4 slot.

Is that how you got your drives installed?

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for the reply... yes I currently have the M.2 slot as the boot drive, and have installed the NVMe PCIe card in Slot 4 as per recommendations. The drive appears ok in Disk management etc,

I've not done any PCH remapping as I don't know how - But when I boot the Workstation up, there is no "CTRL-I" option to set up raid.

I work a lot with HP Workstations but this is the first time I've tried to configure the Z240 in this way, and have not been able to find any further information other than that it is apparently a possibility.

Any help would be most greatfully received!

HP Recommended

@Terramonkey wrote:

Hi, thanks for the reply... yes I currently have the M.2 slot as the boot drive, and have installed the NVMe PCIe card in Slot 4 as per recommendations. The drive appears ok in Disk management etc,

I've not done any PCH remapping as I don't know how - But when I boot the Workstation up, there is no "CTRL-I" option to set up raid.

I work a lot with HP Workstations but this is the first time I've tried to configure the Z240 in this way, and have not been able to find any further information other than that it is apparently a possibility.

Any help would be most greatfully received!

Does pressing CTRL-I despite the lack of a prompt produce any effects?

I have no experience with the Z240 but usually when there is no possibility to enter the RAID setup it is because the PC does not detect two identical disks- are the drivers installed?

As for PCH remapping, at least on the 100 / 200 series intel boards (e.g. Z170) this took place automatically. One 3.0 x16 slot was connected to the CPU (or if the baord had SLI and it was enabled it was possibleto split this x8 + x8) with the remaining lanes going from the chipset (PCH). I trust you checked the bios for any related options, but assuming they are not there then I would assume that this should takep alce automatically and is not the issue.

HP Recommended

I scoured the (up to date) BIOS and could find anything relevant. Check the BIOS simulator here if you like, maybe I've missed something?

The drives are definitely installed and I read that the NVMe drives are compatible by default on the Z240 regardless of BIOS version, however to be sure I've updated the bios firmware to the latest version anyway.

CTRL-I at post (repeatedly) does nothing at all, just boots into windows. 

scratching my head somewhat with this one!

HP Recommended

@Terramonkey wrote:

Hi, thanks for the reply... yes I currently have the M.2 slot as the boot drive, and have installed the NVMe PCIe card in Slot 4 as per recommendations.

Try moving your turbo drive to slot 3 - for tower systems this is the HP recommendtion (see last page of this doc: http://www8.hp.com/h20195/V2/GetPDF.aspx/4aa5-7826eew)

HP Recommended

Not sure where I found the spec advising to use Slot 4... Anyway I just tried Slot 3 and still no change; I can't get CTRL-I raid manger to open at post....

HP Recommended

I have solved the problem... Bit convoluted but for those interested...

1. F10 into bios, select advanced tab> Option Rom Launch policy > Set to "All UEFI Except Video" (And save)
  2. Still in Advanced Tab, Select  Sytem Options> Select (check/tick) "RST Remapping" (And Save)
  3. Save BIOS changes and reboot.

I then installed another HDD and built windows 10 on this drive. Once booted into Windows 10, I selected Intel RST and set up a RAID0 stripe using the (now found) M.2 and PCIe NVMe ssd's.

I then removed the additional HDD, and performed a fresh install of Windows 10 using the latest W10 DVD available from HP which includes the correct drivers, meaning that the RAID0 I had created was visible to the installation.

Seems to be working ok now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.