Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z4 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I upgraded the cpu in my Z4 G4 workstation from Xeon 2123 to Xeon 2295. Everything went well but now i receive a POST Error message 912-Incorrect CPU cooler installed for this configuration. After some googling i figured out that i need a 6 wire PWM Fan for configs with cpu’s over 140W but i’m unable to find a part number for the fan or the entire heatsink/fan assembly in order to buy it. Can anyone help me out with this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I would try HP Art. 3EN29AV since it is a "HP Z4 HiPwr CPU Cooling Solution". I have that fan in my Z4 G4 with a W-2245 processor. (155w)

I cannot find anywhere to buy it, so contact HP directly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I would try HP Art. 3EN29AV since it is a "HP Z4 HiPwr CPU Cooling Solution". I have that fan in my Z4 G4 with a W-2245 processor. (155w)

I cannot find anywhere to buy it, so contact HP directly.

HP Recommended

I just want to elaborate on this issue as I had the same error code after upgrading to the W-2265 CPU.

After an hour chat and combing over the spec sheets, completely frustrated that there was no mention of a required part.  It donned on me to check the TDP numbers and realizing the only thing that came close was the i9 at 168W did I think to look for that.  Well, on page 33 of QuickSpecs is the one and only mention of a 92 mm x 92 mm x 25 mm, 6-wire, PWM (includes 6-to-5pin cable adapter).  No order codes, no asterisks, nada but this one line.

I ran through partsurfer and after trying my serial, product number and finally hunting down an i9 product code, I was no where closer to finding a **bleeping** product code.  They use the same standard fan on the line item for the i9 as everything else.  

However, if you search for the adapter there are sites that sell the HP HP Computer CPU Fan 6 Pin Male to 5 Pin Female Cable Fan Conn Adapter and mention the Z440 uses this same adapter as well as the Z4.  So I've ordered the adapter, hit up ebay for the heatsink from an old Z440 and I'm frankensteining this together until HP get's this figured out.

Hopefully this helps someone else out trying to upgrade their Z4 system to these second generation CPU's.  It's faster and I'm quite happy with it even with the annoying bios halt at boot.

HP Recommended

I ordered this part L29299-001 - SPS-COOLING SOLUTION -HIPWR -CPU Z4 G4 and already installed the new heatsink and everything works fine. It came with an adapter cable which i installed between the fan and the motherboard connector. Construction wise is a bigger heatsink and a different fan, probably with a higher airflow output. 

HP Recommended

I was able to find that too, I just had to enter the right product code to bring up a system with a 12 core CPU.  Unfortunately it's out of stock for me, and they're asking ~$150 anyways.  So I'm going to use the Z440 fan and the 6 to 5 pin adapter I found online  and cross my fingers it works.  I'm going to stick with the stock heatsink unless the 440 fits.  I love HP, but when it comes to these upgrades they really over charge for what are essentially off the shelf parts.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.