Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
05-22-2020 01:59 AM
Hello, please review the following. The questions follow the CPU-z Data.
Specification Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU W3505 @ 2.53GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket 1366 LGA (0x1)
BIOS Date 08/19/09
Mainboard Model 0AE4h
Preamble: I can get an i7 920 CPU for $20 (CDN). Would like opinions, likes/dislikes, pros and cons of doing a CPU swap. The above data is offered as to provide an ample pic of this system. I can say that this board has four RAM slots, not six. Many Q's, thanks in advance.
1) Is there an advantage of going to an i7 processor with basically the same speed?
2) Are there guidelines in buying a used CPU. What Q's should I ask the seller?
3) Is it relatively easy to swap a CPU? What should I watch for?
4) Will I need another power supply if I SWAP the CPU?
5) Will I need new CPU cooling gear?
6) What is the fastest CPU that this board/chip set support? Either Xenon or i7
7, Last Q. If an i7 CPU is installed, will this machine play light games, circa XP/Vista era?
Thank you so much, I realize it's a lot to ask, but I'm sure there are better minds than mine out there 🙂
05-22-2020 04:42 PM
the z400 motherboard does not support the i7 series of cpu's as far as i know
official HP supported cpu's are listed in the HP quickspecs doc (check for the latest revision)
also do you have a gen 1 (4 dimm sockets) or a gen 2 (six dimm sockets) as the gen 2 board can support larger/faster memory modules
search this forum for posts by "SDH" on the z400 he covers your upgrade options in several postings
here's one link (move down to the green colored reply)
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask the community