Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Jockero,

6/16 update:

I have a later version of the Z400, with the later boot block date and 6 instead of 4 memory stick slots.  There is a post above that indicates that using the same later version of the Z400 a forum member was able to get a X5690 hexacore to work just fine.  You need that later motherboard type to run a 56XX type of processor.  The earlier motherboard can only run up to the 55XX type of processors.  The faster processor lets the memory run at its faster speed, with max of 1333 for this hardware.  Use of identical RAM sticks in the six sockets is also important..... if 12GB is enough 6 of the HP used memory sticks for this workstation would be the way to go, off eBay.  Plus, a nice SSD.  I always recommend the Intel 320 series 300GB SSD off eBay these days..... reasonable cost, and a SATA generation II SSD, as is the Z400 workstation.  I have a X5690 coming.... they still are not cheap, however.

Welcome to the forum.  If you go to the top of this page you'll see the search function that I captured an image for you, posted below.  If you type in Z400, as shown, it will give you a good number of forum posts to research through, and if you hit "Go" to the right it will give you even more.  Lots of people don't know that will search this forum ("This Board") preferentially, so that's a great place to start.  All your answers are there.

For Jockero.jpg

HP Recommended

I wish to piggyback on this discussion on Z400 cpu upgrade.

I have a version 1 (4 DIMM) z400. The mobo haqve problem and I bought a replacement version 2.

After reconnecting everything back, I got the 3 red LED flasg error indicating that there is an issue with the cpu module. I have reseated the cpu a couple of times but still have the same error. So the mobo could be an issue but seller reassured me that it works fine. I incline to think that the cpu may need to be replaced (already 7 years old).

So it looks like I can opt to change to a highere performance hexacore Westmere (instead of sticking with quadcore Nehalem).

Can I use buffer and unbuffer dimm for this setup? Currently I have a twin 4Gb ram sticks. I am looking to put a couple more sticks- can I use unbuffered ones, considering the existing ones are buffered?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@block306 wrote:

Can I use buffer and unbuffer dimm for this setup? Currently I have a twin 4Gb ram sticks. I am looking to put a couple more sticks- can I use unbuffered ones, considering the existing ones are buffered?

Thanks.

My knee-jerk reaction is never mix different types/sizes/speeds of ram on a motherboard.  The default result is everything runs at the slowest speed.

If you already own the ram, experimenting is one choice.  But if you were planning to buy some, the answer would be no.

Don't spend money on a different ram chip spec than the one(s) you have installed.  More ram on a stick is one thing, different specs (speeds, ddr, etc).

Tom

///
"Without [public] Data, you are just another person with an Opinion." W. Edward Demings, Data Scientist
---
"You are entitled to your own opinion but not to your own facts." Senator and Professor Patrick Moynihan
---
HP Recommended

Xeon W35XX -> the W3580 I just ordered on ebay was pretty low cost.  I found a configuration list from HP that listed upto the W3570 as an orderable configuration.    

This is for the 4 DIMM motherboard(s).  Edit Reply: I just found out I am playing with a 6 Dimm MB which also runs the W35XX series (apparently).

I want to thank the HP employee and the Ph.D. Student for the very useful discussion and efforts by going back and editing/explaining/amplifying what he was talking about!

HTH,

Tom

///
"Without [public] Data, you are just another person with an Opinion." W. Edward Demings, Data Scientist
---
"You are entitled to your own opinion but not to your own facts." Senator and Professor Patrick Moynihan
---
HP Recommended

On the subject of HP Z400 can anyone advise what is the videcompatibilit situation with regard to the newer Nvidia GTX 10 series cards e.g. 1050Ti or 1060?

The Z400 does not have an UEFI bios, can anyone verify that the newer graphics cards such as the above which were meant to be used on UEFI bios machines also run on legacy bios?

HP Recommended

For the version 1 Z400, which cannot take the 36XX series Xeon processors, the fastest I have seen officially supported by HP is the W3570 too.   However, there is a W3580 as you found and that is the one I'd try.  

9/10/17 EDIT:  ON REVIEW OF OLD QUICKSPECS FOR THE VERSION 1 Z400 (4 DIMM MEMORY SLOTS VERSION) THERE IS DOCUMENTATION THAT HP OFFICIALLY SUPPORTS THE W3580, IN VERSION 24 OF THE QUICKSPECS RELEASED 9/1/10.

Intel never made a W3590, however.

You'll be able to run the faster ECC unbuffered (1333) memory from HP with the W3570 or W3580 processors, and I saw a few just today on eBay for about $32.00 USD.  There is only one sSpec code for  the W3580 (SLBET) and the W3570 (SLBES) and those both run at 130W max TDP so your current heatsink/fan should handle it if you ensure you have the larger Z400 "Performance" heatsink/fan version posted about here in the forum.

HP Recommended

I have used a Intel Xeon X5680 with the latest bios update on the hp z400 and works fine. this gives the pc 6 cores at 3.3ghz

I believe the highest rated cpu that works with this model is the x5690

the X5680 can be found on amazon for under $200 and give the z400 a lot of extra life having the extra 2 cores

https://www.amazon.com/3-33GHz-Intel-Socket-LGA1366-SLBV5/dp/B004EET1LM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=14963...

HP Recommended

@MtothaJ wrote:

On the subject of HP Z400 can anyone advise what is the videcompatibilit situation with regard to the newer Nvidia GTX 10 series cards e.g. 1050Ti or 1060?

The Z400 does not have an UEFI bios, can anyone verify that the newer graphics cards such as the above which were meant to be used on UEFI bios machines also run on legacy bios?

Yes, I can advise you.  A GTX 750 Ti (any version) will install and run.  A GTX 1060 will install and run.  The GTX 1050 Ti is a replacement for the Gtx 750 Ti and should run.  I have installed and run two versions of the GTX 750 Ti (regular and mini/half height on the same machine at the same time) and I just installed the GTX 1060 (3GB) and it is running.  I have every reason to believe a GTX 1060 (6GB) should run fine.

All of these cards are either "low power" or speced to run with the 435 Watt stock HP power supply.

Respectfully,

Tom Miller

///
---
---
HP Recommended

all pci E video cards will work as long as you can supply enough power to it.  you will need a higher wattage power supply that will fit the case to use a nvidia 1080 1070 1060  or even a AMD 580 480 video card. the Z400 power supply I believe come in 400 and 600 wattage and is not that much for powering one of these types of cards I believe the AMD 480 cards draw around 160 watts of power you will need to find out the power requirements for the nvidia parts

HP Recommended

@Docherty1 wrote:

I have used a Intel Xeon X5680 with the latest bios update on the hp z400 and works fine. this gives the pc 6 cores at 3.3ghz

I believe the highest rated cpu that works with this model is the x5690

the X5680 can be found on amazon for under $200 and give the z400 a lot of extra life having the extra 2 cores

https://www.amazon.com/3-33GHz-Intel-Socket-LGA1366-SLBV5/dp/B004EET1LM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=14963...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Darn, now you have got me "licking my chops".  While installing my new Gtx 1060 video card, I discovered I was running my W35XX with a 6 Dimm motherboard.  So it is "possible" (budget provided) that I could upgrade to the cpu you just pointed to.  Its going for $170 (groan) right now on Amazon....  And yes, it has Hyperthreading (if I read the specs right).

Tom 

///
---
---
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.