Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

the cpu also has a lot more cache. I have 25 z400 mchines at my work. we upgraded them with those cpu's and 48gigs of ram as we do design work in ANSYS the 6 cores made a huge difference in computing power its very noticeable

HP Recommended

I want to second Docherty1's input.... one of his prior posts is exactly what led me to buy a X5690 for my favorite Z400.  That is a version 2 workstation.

The W3690 and the X5690 both need the version 2 type of Z400 to run in.  We were talking about the W3590 not existing, but the W3690 does.....  don't confuse an already confusing thing!

Those all run at 130W max TDP.

The X5690 was originally more expensive than the W3690 because those darn Apple people lusted after the X5690s for their Mac Pro dual processor upgrading, and Intel charged more also because it has 2 QPI links (the W3690 only has one).

So, for the single processor version 2 Z400 I'd not feel bad about running it with a W3690 at all.

SLBVX is what to search eBay for if you want the X5690, and SLBW2 if you want the W3690.  In a version 2 Z400 the performance will be virtually identical.  If you take a look on eBay right now the X5690 actually is cheaper, however.  Market forces in action.....

HP Recommended

@Docherty1 wrote:

all pci E video cards will work as long as you can supply enough power to it.  you will need a higher wattage power supply that will fit the case to use a nvidia 1080 1070 1060  or even a AMD 580 480 video card. the Z400 power supply I believe come in 400 and 600 wattage and is not that much for powering one of these types of cards I believe the AMD 480 cards draw around 160 watts of power you will need to find out the power requirements for the nvidia parts

THanks for the info guys. To be honest I do not think the power supply is much of a concern. The HP power supplies are generally pretty good and reliable and the Pascal generation of cards are very energy efficent. I run a GTX1070 G1 Gaming in a Z420 with a 600W PSU no problem.

Also out of interest - what is the situation with regard to overclocking in these machines? Obviously bios based overclocking is not possible but has anybody tried to run Intel XTU? From what I recall the Xeons for the 1366 socket had an unlocked multiplier, so there is a chance of a moderate increase in performance, at least in theory.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have a Z-400 with 6 DIMM slots.  I am looking for a CPU upgrade that includes the AVX extensions.  AVX is like SSE2/SSE3 etc except that for my primary application it will run it 30% faster.

As far as I can tell, the X5690 doesn't support AVX.  But otherwise would be my upgrade of choice if I can't find an AVX type cpu.

It needs to be at least 4 cores, support hyperthreading (probably) and be at least 3 Mhz.

Thank you,

Tom

///
"Without [public] Data, you are just another person with an Opinion." W. Edward Demings, Data Scientist
---
"You are entitled to your own opinion but not to your own facts." Senator and Professor Patrick Moynihan
---
HP Recommended

Tom,

I think you'll be needing newer processor(s).  And, a newer workstation.

You can look up in Google "Z400 QuickSpecs" and collect a bunch of different versions, and note that there are two versions of the Z400 as detailed in this forum.

Then, because your version 2 Z400 can run either the older or the newer HP-approved ones for version 1 and version 2 you can look up those processors and see if any have support for AVX.

Let us know what your research shows..... thanks!

HP Recommended

@SDH wrote:

Tom,

I think you'll be needing newer processor(s).  And, a newer workstation.

You can look up in Google "Z400 QuickSpecs" and collect a bunch of different versions, and not that there are two versions of the Z400 as detailed in this forum.

Then, because your version 2 Z400 can run either the older or the newer HP-approved ones for version 1 and version 2 you can look up those processors and see if any have support for AVX.

Let us know what your research shows..... thanks!

After I posted the question, I did look high and low for a CPU that supported AVX with the socket type on "our" motherboard.  I am now reasonably confident that there is no such thing.  I did find a $250 turnkey PC I7 8GB ram with AVX support on e-bay so I ordered that. (I have to install an OS otherwise it looks like a very good bargain).

I have a W3580 CPU on its way from overseas.  Should get it next month.  Haven't decided if I will install it or not because I paid someone to put in a water cooler on the CPU and would have to pay them to upgrade it.

Might (eventually) break down and buy that 6 core "monster" because it has a much higher CPU speed as well as more cores.  And someone is experimenting with speeding up the target app without using AVX.

Tom

///
"Without [public] Data, you are just another person with an Opinion." W. Edward Demings, Data Scientist
---
"You are entitled to your own opinion but not to your own facts." Senator and Professor Patrick Moynihan
---
HP Recommended

Tom,

I looked too, and came to the same conclusion.

Regarding the W3580...... yours is the version 2 Z400 (which has the 6 memory slots instead of the 4 slots on the version 1 motherboard).

You could get the W3680 (SLBV2 sSpec code) or the W3690 (SLBW2 sSpec code), or the X5690 (SLBVX sSpec code) for that motherboard instead of the older W3580 (SLBET sSpec code).  All will run on your motherboard under the larger "Performance" heatsink rated to handle 130W max TDP.  If you could upgrade your order that would maybe worth the hassle......

Scott

HP Recommended

@Tom_Galenson wrote:

"I have a W3580 CPU on its way from overseas.  "

I did install in on my Z400 w/6 memory slots and it came up and ran with no problems.  If I remember right, then it might also work on any  Z400 w/4 memory slots.

So did an X5680 [ran with no problems](6 cores w/HT)@3.44Ghz which cost roughly half of cost of a X5690.  Since then the prices appear to have gone down about 1/3 on both.  

If you have a Z400 w/6 memory slots and are in need of more power this will give it to you.  Since what I do scales to the available cores w/o limit this was a win for me.

Tom

///
---
---
HP Recommended

In case this helps anyone else trying to make a decision:
I recently got one of these older HP Z400 machines with the 4 DIMMS working with a X5675 6-core processor.

Took updating the BIOS, but it's running stable for a couple hours now on Ubuntu.

HP Recommended

hi y a have the older 4 dimms ver. hows the X5675 working out now-if u dont mind - and should I use EEC ram or standard desktop.Regards Tony  is there a BIOS ver.as well -mine is 786G3 v03.54

(any other advice gratefully received) 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.