Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Z400
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am purchasing HP Z400 with motherboard (586766-002 FMB-0902). I would like to know if it shall support Xeon E5-2690 2.9ghz as well as Nvidia Quadro K5000. I went through HP website and it mentioned it will support Quadro 5000 but i think both have different power and compatibility requirements. Also I read somewhere that Xeon V2 is not supported, I am not sure how to check if the Xeon cpu is V1 or V2. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The Z400 will support any PCIe GPU with a sufficient power supply installed - though you may have bandwidth limitations on performance for cards from the past few years (the Z400 is PCIe 2.0). The K5000 only needs a single six pin connector and should work with the stock 475w PSU (K5000 is rated at about 130w). There is an optional 600(+?) watt PSU designed for the Z400 but they are hard to come by, an aftermarket PSU can be installed with an adapter cable for the motherboard connection.

The E5 series CPUs are not supported in the Z400. E5 series are socket 2011 and the Z400 uses socket 1366. You can install a Xeon 5690x or Xeon W3690 for best performance on this system.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

based on the HP quickspecs i found (2011) your system only supports the "W" series of xeons, and as such the bios may lack the necessary microcode for other xeon cpu lines even if the chipset can support it

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01709672

i would also not install any video card that uses more than 150 watts using the stock 475 watt supply

the quadro 5000 is a hp listed/supported card and this draws 150 watts (see quickspecs)

HP Recommended

The Z400 will support any PCIe GPU with a sufficient power supply installed - though you may have bandwidth limitations on performance for cards from the past few years (the Z400 is PCIe 2.0). The K5000 only needs a single six pin connector and should work with the stock 475w PSU (K5000 is rated at about 130w). There is an optional 600(+?) watt PSU designed for the Z400 but they are hard to come by, an aftermarket PSU can be installed with an adapter cable for the motherboard connection.

The E5 series CPUs are not supported in the Z400. E5 series are socket 2011 and the Z400 uses socket 1366. You can install a Xeon 5690x or Xeon W3690 for best performance on this system.

HP Recommended

This makes a lot of sense. What shall be the minimum model in HP series that could support E5-2690 and Quadro K5000, Z420, Z440 or Z620?

HP Recommended

Shall Z420 be sufficient if Z400 doesn't support the processor. I am looking for the minimilistic upgrade which is sufficient to support the mentioned processor and GPU which I have.  Going through the following shows it supports E5 but I am not sure if my processor is V1 or V2. 

https://www8.hp.com/ca/en/campaigns/workstations/z420.html

The link also states that it supports K series of GPU. I honestly could not have figured out myself that the Z400 bios doesnt support the microcode for the cpu 🙂

HP Recommended

These Z series workstations all evolved over time, and that is documented in the multiple QuickSpecs versions available via Bing/Google searching.  For example, search for Z620 QuickSpecs, and collect them.  For the v2 workstations you want the later QuickSpecs.  There are over 40 versions for some.... no need to find all.

The Z420 is a much better choice than the Z400 if you can find an excellent price on the Z420.  The Z620 is even better, with its higher capacity best power supply.  You'd only want the version 2 of either.  I, however, still use a Z400 with an X5690 processor in our home library.  And, I have spare more advanced ZX20 and ZX40 HP workstations sitting 50 feet from me....

Learn how to easily tell the difference between a version 1 vs version 2 Z420 or Z620.  You only want a v2.  Many of us only use one processor in our Z620 workstations and it turns out a Z420 (which can only run one processor) then is virtually identical to a Z620 except for the better power supply in the Z620, and better case plus a bit more.

Brian and Bambi and MothaJ here all have provided excellent posts on the best fastest optimized even overclocked processors for the Z420/Z620.  Read up on that.  The stainless cap on these processors all have laser etching showing the processor version and sSpec code.  Read up on that.  E5-2690 version one will have E5-2690 etched; version 2 will state E5-2690 v2.  The sSpec codes are different between those too...... the v1 has two sSpec codes (SR0HA is C1 stepping and SR0L0 is the C2 stepping, and if there are two sSpec codes you always would want to buy the later of the two).  It is all in the Intel Ark site.....Ordering and Compliance side link for the processor you look up.

E5-2690 v2 has just one stepping and sSpec code, SR1A5.  V2 processors that are HP-approved will be in the later QuickSpecs for the ZX20 workstations.  The v3 and v4 processors need a different socket, for the ZX40 workstations.  Big jump in price....

So, time to do some research.  I'd go Z620 v2 with a single processor picked carefully based on Bambi's advice based on the needs of your most important programs (best single vs best multi-threaded) and whether you're willing to overclock (not all processors can be overclocked).  

HP Recommended

@SDH This is by far most comprehensive info and insight I gained! I like that you mentioned "Many of us only use one processor in our Z620 workstations and it turns out a Z420" which is exactly I have, This processor I had pulled from my previous Z820 so I was looking for a minimal spec host machine for that. Based on your comments I would go for Z420 as I am indeed looking for the minimum compatible specs for the processor and GPU. Actually these small technical details appear quite daunting to a noob like me so the people in this community like you make it easy to bridge. 

HP Recommended

Happy to help.  The v2 Z420 and Z620 workstations both have come down significantly in price, and having that processor is a big step up for you vs having to start with no processor.  There is a good post that includes info on the v1 and v2 versions of that processor  HERE .

The v1 processor version was released at a cost of about 2060.00 each USD, as was the price for the v2 version released later.  You'd want the v2 if you can have it, but even the v1 at your price is mighty fine.  The v2 can run the fastest memory the v2 Z420/Z620 ever can (1866 MHz FSB).  The v1 tops out at 1666 MHz. 

There is some nice server memory you can get that will let you load 64GB for net cost of about 100.00 USD.  For the Z420 v2 souped up this way HP recommends that you add in the front PCI fan and the upper airflow guide.  I also would surely add in my discovery of the near-double-surface-area Z440/Z640 processor heatsink/fan that fits perfectly on the Z420/Z620 if you know what you're doing.  That is a fine build.....

EDIT:  Added info:  Take a look for 749554-001, and that is the 150W (actually more) heat capacity Z440/Z640 heatsink/fan.  I've been using these for souped up Z420/Z620 builds for higher cooling capacity including almost exactly 2x the cooling fin surface area and 4 instead of 3 cooling tubes.  I used to change out the plug end to the type used in the Z420/Z620 but recently realized you can just plug the 6-pin plug on the ZX40 fan end onto the 5-pin ZX20 motherboard header hanging the extra pin hole off to the left.

HP Recommended

@SDH Well based on your recommendation I just bought Z620 and was able to install the mentioned processor and graphics car flawlessly!! Kudos to you!!

It came with 4GB RAM, so can I install additional single unit 16GB RAM to make a total of 20GB? Actually I have never heard of 20GB total RAM so apologies in advance if it sounds silly. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.