Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Z440

Hello.

I would like to use my Z440 Mainboard inside a custom case and need the pinout of the front-panel socket.

Does anybody have a schematic of the front panel -header (component 25 in the manual) or did anybody figure out at least which ones are for power on?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

this question has been asked/answered numerous time already in this forum please use the search function to read some of them i know for a fact that "SDH" has covered this in detail

the xw6400/8400/660/8600/4600 workstations also use the same pinout and this easily located using google

ie- "xw6400 motherboard pinout"

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/attachments/psg/Audio/292697/1/Pinouts%20for%20HP%20xw%20Workstations...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

this question has been asked/answered numerous time already in this forum please use the search function to read some of them i know for a fact that "SDH" has covered this in detail

the xw6400/8400/660/8600/4600 workstations also use the same pinout and this easily located using google

ie- "xw6400 motherboard pinout"

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/attachments/psg/Audio/292697/1/Pinouts%20for%20HP%20xw%20Workstations...

HP Recommended

Hello @DGroves. 

Thank you for your answer. I did a fair amount of a research and found a couple of schematics for the xw Model line and one for z420, too. Unfortunately, I did not see any indication that the pinout on a z440 is identical. The fact that the speaker is connected to a dedicated pin on the motherboard, made me think the pinout on the z440 must have changed compared to the z420 and previous models.

HP Recommended

You likely only own a motherboard for the Z440.  Why don't you look at eBay for Z440 bare bones?  Ideally you'd get one with the Windows sticker on the back.  That way you know the motherboard is "branded" to run the HP Windows 10 installer media.  You can download that from HP if yours is a Windows branded motherboard but you need a valid serial number to do that download.  Hence, the value of actually having the case that the motherboard came in... so you know what you are dealing with.  Linux branded motherboard can't do that trick.

The front interface unit that screws onto the case can be bought too, as can the 3 cables, but with shipping and individual costs bare bones is the way to go.  Try to get one that has its motherboard still in.  The top USB port in that front interface is a high amperage one that must have some different wiring than all the prior Z workstations.  I think it is the same in the Z440 and the Z640.  It gets blown too easily... I've bought one that way but in it all else works fine.  My guess is that HP has fixed that on new replacements bought directly from them.

You won't find pinouts for these I'm quite sure.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.