Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Z600

Hello!

I have a HP Z600 that i recently got, and I sought some advice here on the forums.

The only upgrade I was able to do at the moment was to get a second CPU, and a second fan.

I put in another X3550, but now the computer will not boot.

It was working fine before i put in the second CPU.

There is no image on screen, no beeps from the computer, and all the fans run up to maximum.

Does anyone know what might be the cause?

Thank you very much!

Best regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I agree with DGroves.... the amount of work you'll be putting in and possibly failing makes the idea of getting a v2 motherboard best.  I've posted recently in the forum here exactly how to ensure you buy a v2 Z600 motherboard.  Then you can use two of the fastest more advanced processors HP certified for the v2 Z600.  There are two pairs to recommend.

The more recent motherboard also gets you the ability to run faster memory.  I can get you the exact type I've bought as 8GB sticks from retired servers that can run at 1866 MHz max speed in the ZX20 v2 workstations, but they also downspeed to match the v2 fastest processors in the Z600 v2.  So you can use them later if you choose, and get max value.  At roughly 11.00 USD/8GB stick that is worth knowing about.

It all makes sense... it is not a bad project at all to upgrade the motherboard in these workstations.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Are you using a processor that does not exist?  I looked up Xeon X3550 and I see only a W3550.

Whatever you are using is it in a HP Z600 QuickSpecs document you can provide a link to?

Have you done your homework?  Do you know that whatever you are trying to use two of is listed as an approved processor for your version 1 or version 2 Z600?  What version Z600, 1 or 2, do you have?

And, do they have 1 or 2 QPI links?  No joy if only 1 QPI link because those will never run with a matched mate.

HP Recommended

I did a little more digging.... Do you have a Z400 instead of a Z600?  The W3550 was approved by HP for use in the Z400 but I see no such certification for it in a Z600.

And, the W3550 has only 1 QPI link.  You would not be the first to try two single QPI link processors in a dual processor HP workstation.... it never works.

HP Recommended

Hello SDH!

Thank you for your reply, and I do apologize for the confusion.

There seems to be a typo in my original  post, and I do in fact have 2x X5550 processors.

These should be working according to this quickspec:

https://www.dectrader.com/docs/set01/39683/13277_na.html

I have now tried to move around both the CPU-s and the CPU fans, and as long as they are in CPU-socket 2 they both work.

This leads me to believe that it is in fact a problem with the motherboard and that CPU-socket 1 is the problem.

I can see what looks like it might be bent pins in the socket but I am not sure. This is probably from the previous owner unfortunately. Would this be repairable?

HP Recommended

repairing bent cpu pins is a case by case thing and it depends also on the skill of the person

you might be better served simply replacing the system board. currently the v2 z600 boards are quite cheap on ebay

do not buy a v1 z600 board, these currently cost the same as a v2 board but have less ram/cpu options

HP Recommended

I agree with DGroves.... the amount of work you'll be putting in and possibly failing makes the idea of getting a v2 motherboard best.  I've posted recently in the forum here exactly how to ensure you buy a v2 Z600 motherboard.  Then you can use two of the fastest more advanced processors HP certified for the v2 Z600.  There are two pairs to recommend.

The more recent motherboard also gets you the ability to run faster memory.  I can get you the exact type I've bought as 8GB sticks from retired servers that can run at 1866 MHz max speed in the ZX20 v2 workstations, but they also downspeed to match the v2 fastest processors in the Z600 v2.  So you can use them later if you choose, and get max value.  At roughly 11.00 USD/8GB stick that is worth knowing about.

It all makes sense... it is not a bad project at all to upgrade the motherboard in these workstations.

HP Recommended

Thank you both SDH and DGroves, I agree that upgrading the MB is the best thing to do here, and I will be purchasing a V2 when I can get it for the right price to my country.

That being said I am happy to report that I was able to straighten a couple of pins with a needle, and now the computer boots and recognises both processors!

HP Recommended

Hi, i have the same problem too but then after updating the BIOS, it work only on the CPU socket 0. Do I miss something on the BIOS setting? 

BTW, I try to upgrade the 2x CPU E5506 to 2x X5675.

HP Recommended

For these questions regarding HP workstations that have v1 and v2 versions please always start by giving us your boot block date from BIOS.  It is under the first column there.  Or, if you can't get the workstation to boot at least attach a picture of the bar code label by the motherboard's memory slot.  

That is the start point.... it does no good to advise you if we are thinking it is a v2 when it really is a v1.

HP Recommended

Oh my mistake. So, my motherboard is V2 vesion and the boot block date was 01/07/2010

z600 bios.jpeg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.