Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
HP Recommended
HP Z600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I am using HP Z600 v 2 (Boot Block Date 01/07/20), motherboard 591184-001

The system originally came with two XEON E5506 2.13GHz CPUs and is currently running on WIN 10 64 PRO. 

First I added 24GB of RAM (CPU0 3 x 4GB and CPU1 3 x 4GB) - it was detected the original old version of BIOS and everything worked fine. The RAM specs is: HYNIX 4GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R 1333MHz (HMT151R7BFR4C), HP P/N: 500203-061

Then I updated the BIOS to 3.61 Rev. A version and everything seemed ok as well.

Then I installed 2 XEON X5670 CPUs and the workstation wouldn't work - there is just a high speed fan operating, blank screen, no BIOS, no beeps. Then the fan speed increses and still nothing happens. 

I reinstalled the original  2 XEON E5506 2.13GHz CPUs and again high speed fan operating and norhing worked. 

When I install just one CPU in CPU0, the system does start up and WIN is loaded, both the CPU and 24GB RAM are detected, everything works. This is true both for the original E5506 installed in CPU0 and the upgraded 5670 in CPU0.

Can anyone help me with this issue? I would like to have two CPUs running, for sure faster than the original XEON E5506 2.13GHz  but now I can't even get that to work - the system works only when one CPU is installed in CPU0.

Is this an issue with 5670 or the memory or combination of both or something else?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you have tried only one of the two processors in CPU socket 0 and things work (which is what you said) then could you take that processor out and insert the second processor in socket 0... and would it work also?  If one works and the other does not then that one that does not almost certainly is a bad processor.

If both work in socket 0 and you can't get two to work when you put the second in socket 1 then you have a socket problem such as a bent pin in that second socket.  In that case you'll likely need to buy another motherboard.  Sometimes you can succeed in fixing a bent pin.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

It can't be 1/7/20.  Please go into BIOS, first column, and get the correct date.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

Dear @Bartsky600 

I think the problem is in the BIOS version, although both processors use the 5520 chipset, they need to be upgraded to Rev. R

Compatibility for Intel® Xeon® Processor 5600 Series and...

Tested Processor List for Intel® Server Boards and Intel® Server...

- if I can help solve your question or issue, please click on ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or click the YES button if my answer was helpful.
HP Recommended

Thanks for pointing out to this. Of course the Boot Block date is 01/07/10. System BIOS version is 786G4 v 03.61 - downloaded from HP website and installed through WIN 10 PRO 64.

HP Recommended

If you have tried only one of the two processors in CPU socket 0 and things work (which is what you said) then could you take that processor out and insert the second processor in socket 0... and would it work also?  If one works and the other does not then that one that does not almost certainly is a bad processor.

If both work in socket 0 and you can't get two to work when you put the second in socket 1 then you have a socket problem such as a bent pin in that second socket.  In that case you'll likely need to buy another motherboard.  Sometimes you can succeed in fixing a bent pin.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your post  @resistencia

I'll check this one out. However, shouldn't the latest BIOS version (3.61 Rev.A) from HP support download page  solve such problems?

HP Recommended

most likely causes

check your system board PN.

Version 1 has system board PN: 461439-001 (460840-002) 55xx only xeons

Version 2 has system board PN: 591184-001 (460864-003) 55xx and 56xx xeons

Up to 2 x 6C Xeon X5660 3.33Ghz 12MB 6.40GTs Processors | 3.60Ghz Max Turbo Frequency (SLBV6)

Up to 2 x 6C Xeon X5675 3.06Ghz 12MB 6.40GTs Processors | 3.46Ghz Max Turbo Frequency (SLBYL)

the 130 watt 5690 is not a supported CPU for the z600 due to HP never certifying it many people have not been able to run two of these in a z600

also check for,

bent pins on cpu 1 socket

bad cpu installed in socket 1

CPU aux power connector not fully seated on motherboard (unlikely)

possible fix, power off and remove cpu 1 and ram, then do a cmos reset by pressing motherboard reset button for 5-7 sec or remove/replace cmos batt power on/off then reinstall sec cpu 55xx if v1 MB 55/56 cpu if v2 MB then power on

HP Recommended

@Bartsky600 

Actually I can't say for sure, the BIOS indicates that to correct a vulnerability (Specter).

Now try the following , do a CMOS reset, then in sequential order put CPU1 first and then CPU2.

- if I can help solve your question or issue, please click on ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or click the YES button if my answer was helpful.
HP Recommended

Thanks for all the messages. Looks like the problem was caused by bent pins in socket 0. Need to get a new motherboard. I have placed the cpus in another Z600 that I have, and they both work. The only positive thing is that I can confirm now that XEON 5670 is fully compatible with board revision 2 and the latest BIOS from HP website. Thanks again for all your help!

HP Recommended

"Looks like the problem was caused by bent pins in socket 0."

Are you sure about that?  Maybe you meant to say "Looks like the problem was caused by bent pins in socket 1"?

"CPU 0" and "CPU1" are the two sockets and that is printed by them on the motherboard.  CPU0 socket is used if you are running only 1 processor while CPU1 socket is also used when you are running a second processor.  If you had bent pins in CPU0 socket you should not have been able to get even 1 processor to work.  This terminology is important for you, and for others reading this post in the future.  That is an "X5670" processor by the way.

If you need help on how to tell that you are buying a version 2 motherboard let us know... there are some tricks to that.  A little known discovery I made is that for version 2 motherboards running that processor there is a particular type of server RAM that is 1866MHz rated, ECC, Buffered that works perfectly also in the Z420 v2 and the Z620 v2 workstations.  That will not work in a Z400 v2 workstation.  You can find 8GB sticks of that on eBay here in the US for about 15.00 USD each.  Nice way to load up a Z600 v2 with 6 x 8GB RAM that can also be used later in a ZX20 v2 workstation at max speed.  The memory controller will downshift its speed automatically to 1333MHz in a Z600 v2.

Also, here is a diagram of the Z600 motherboards... both types:

Z600 motherboard.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.