Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z8 G4
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi,

I have an HP Z8 G4 (2 processors) in which I would like to install 2 NVIDIA RTX 5000 (connected with NVLINK). Is there a preferred slot placement for those video cards? Same for the SAS HBA2100-4i4e, any preferred slot?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

your dual RTX 5000 (265 watt) video cards are a HP supported configuration

Per HP the two black x16 pci-e slots are the preferred ones to use (slot 2 and 4)

your SAS raid card can go in any x8 or better slot except for the topmost x8 black slot (the one above the video card slot)

the topmost slot is not a HP recommended configuration due to limited airflow in this slot location

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

On page 7 in HP white paper dedicated to Z8 G4, in URL:

https://zworkstation.ru/wa-data/public/site/themes/zwork/img/product/z8/HP%20Z8%20G4%20Workstation%2...

you will find Table 2: HP Z8 G4 I/O Slot Recommended Load Order.

Note that PCIe slots 3 and 6 are only active when both CPU's are present (see Figure 1 on page 6 and Figure 3 on page 7).

HP Recommended

Hi,

thanks for the information, there is just one thing I am not sure about the document, it says first graphic card slot 1 (x4 - x8) but the RTX 5000 is x16. Should I assume then that my first graphic card in this case would be like 2nd graphic according to the chart?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

your dual RTX 5000 (265 watt) video cards are a HP supported configuration

Per HP the two black x16 pci-e slots are the preferred ones to use (slot 2 and 4)

your SAS raid card can go in any x8 or better slot except for the topmost x8 black slot (the one above the video card slot)

the topmost slot is not a HP recommended configuration due to limited airflow in this slot location

HP Recommended

Great! Thanks! For the SAS card, I was thinking of slot 1 but would another slot be more appropriate?

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

On page 6 in the QuickSpecs document for Z8 G4, in URL:

https://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c05527763.pdf

it is stated:

Slot 1:
PCIe Gen3 x4 - Transforms to PCIe Gen3 x8 when 2nd CPU is installed

Still, yes, this is less than x16, which was usually recommended in previous Z-Workstations for Graphics cards.

HP Recommended

That is very clear!

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.