Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

need help with followoing:

HP Z820, Power Supply : 1125W

I have 3x 6-PIN Connectors for GPU but I need 2x 8-PIN Connectors for GTX 980

Is this possible? If yes, how?

Will appreciate any help or suggestions...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

the nvidia GTX 980 was never a 165 watt gpu when used in a desktop configuration it's around  280 watts for most 3rd party cards

the GTX 980M (Mobile variant) used in notebooks is a 122 watt device

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-980M.126692.0.html

and several laptop makers used a binned 980 chip in the mxm or custom board designs that were 165 watt devices

you need to pay close attention when reading so you know which one the article is referencing

i've never seen the binned mobile 980 chips used in a desktop card, they were only used in laptop form factors

i have read that some 980 cards came with a 6 and 8 pin power connectors with the overclocked models usually having dual 8 pin connectors

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I have Z600  and can put any GPU card in the PC .   OMG (oh my golly) 1125watts I can heat my shop with that)

tested over 25 cards in it, (for w10 64b lab tests) (what works old PCs  w10 and what works old GPU W10 tests me)

so HP did not put 6/8 spit connector there real PCs useds, ATX, 

how sad my z600 has 1x6pin connector so only runs those cards, but I can also do the barn burning hot 250watt cards using adapters.  (the ebay and amazon sell that in endless streams of choices)

so you have 3 cables,  (mine 1) of 6pin

so just use 6 to 8 adapters and will work , no missing pins allowed on the 8 pin size  to be missing wires, ok?

GPU cards (magic) actually scan the pins for missing wires. top cards some even beep missing power pins, 12v or ground or sense. Have proof. and vast cards here to test.

get female and male correct ok>   (no split-er  for you , just direct 6 to 8 is best.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=gpu+6+pin+to+8pin+adaptor&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1

good luck you are on a ROLL.!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=gpu+6+pin+to+8pin+adaptor&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

A graphics card with one 6-pin power connector can have maximum power consumption of 150 Watt as it will get 75W from the PCI Express x16 slot and 75W from the 6-pin connector

A graphics card with one 8-pin power connector can get a maximum of 225W of power, 75W from PCI Express x16 slot and 150W from the 8-pin connector

the z800/z820 systems use a "multirail" type power supply instead of the singlerail supply that is common nowadays in most systems

in a singlerail design, any connector is capable of delivering up to the power supplies maxum listed wattage

multirail however uses several power supply rails and each rail is only able to deliver the stated wattage FOR THAT RAIL

for the zmodels listed using the optional high power supply which has 3 six pin GPU AUX connectors (instead of only 2) you have two GPU Rails with two connectors on one rail and the third connector on a seperate rail

so your 980 card will use around 280 watts, which is not recomended for a single GPU rail on the z power supplies you must split the load across both GPU rails

for the 980, you need two 6 to 8 pin gpu power adapters

for your use, split the gpu load between both of the supplies power rails by connecting one 6 to 8 pin adapter to the rail that has the two gpu connectors, and connect the sec 6 to 8 pin adapter to the connector that only has one 6 pin GPU power connector

one last thing, i strongly recommend you avoid the ebay adapters in this case as some of the adapters sold there get their cheap price by using wires with thinner copper strands, and cheaper molex connectors on the plug ends

using "NAME BRAND" will cost more, but the quality level is more consistent

HP Recommended

Hi Lemence,

Can you please confirm which variant of the GTX 980 cards you have? I have found several listings indicating this is only a 165W GPU and has 2x 6-pin auxilliary power connectors?

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
HP Recommended

the nvidia GTX 980 was never a 165 watt gpu when used in a desktop configuration it's around  280 watts for most 3rd party cards

the GTX 980M (Mobile variant) used in notebooks is a 122 watt device

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-980M.126692.0.html

and several laptop makers used a binned 980 chip in the mxm or custom board designs that were 165 watt devices

you need to pay close attention when reading so you know which one the article is referencing

i've never seen the binned mobile 980 chips used in a desktop card, they were only used in laptop form factors

i have read that some 980 cards came with a 6 and 8 pin power connectors with the overclocked models usually having dual 8 pin connectors

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.