Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z840
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to upgrade my Z840 from 32gb to 128gb of ram.  Original configuration was 2 CPUs and 2 16gb sticks in slots.  I bought 6 more 16gb sticks giving me 8 in total.  Now matter what I do, I always get 5 beeps (memory error) and no POST.  I have run the PC fine with 32gb rotating out all memory sticks so they all work.   I have the sticks placed correctly according to the documentation (staggered with 2 in each bank 1,3,5,7).   I even removed CPU1 and placed all the ram in the CPU0 slots so none would be unpopulated and the same thing....5 beeps at post.  Firmware, BIOS, all updated, it makes no difference.  I am at a loss.  Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Blank77, welcome to the forum.

The first thing that comes to mind is, the new memory isn't compatible with the existing memory.  This can happen if it is not the same brand.

Here is the Maintenance and Service Guide for the workstation.  In Chapter 1, Page 20, is the information on the memory that is supported.  I just want to make certain that you have the correct memory because it appears that you have done everything correctly, otherwise.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

I am having a simiiar issue. Running Windows 7 Pro, currently have 2 X 8GB working fine. I am attempting to add 4 more 8GB sticks. Getting 5 red beeps every time I try. Did you ever resolve this issue?

HP Recommended

Rcopp, unless you also have a HP z8xx  workstation you should not be trying to hijack this thread, start a new post

to the "OP" of this thread, i suspect you bought memory that was not the same type as what you had

the z840  requires that you use ECC registered ram instead of unbuffered ram when using large amounts of ram

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/hp-z840-workstation

and ram modules must be insereted in the proper order for each bank, see the inside cover for proper ram order placement

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05851961

HP Recommended

I own a z840 and no hijack of any thread was intended...I found a relevant topic where I had the exact same question and enquired to see if the issue had been resolved.

I contacted HP and used the exact part number (HP 790109-001), but the new sticks cause 5 beeps/red LED upon startup. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

HP Recommended

RCopp,

1.  The z840 memory configuration for 128GB using 16GB modlules is, according to the manual:

CPU 0: 1,3,6,8

CPU 1: 1,3,6,8

P19_      http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04400043.pdf

2.  The problem does sound a bit as though there may be a mis-match sowhere, perhaps an unbuffered module or an "L"  low power is upsetting the standard registered ones. My experience with five zX20's series is that I had problems if the RAM was not all completely identical modules with HP part numbers.As well as the part no.,  I always use the exact model designation, the three letter suffix included.

Let us know what happens. 

BambiBoomZ

HP Recommended

RCopp,

Further to the above reply, the z840 has quad channel memory, better results will be obtained if one of the channels for each CPU is completed, that is, CPU0 and CPU1 each have four modules of the identical size and designation. Different sizes will work, but performance will suffer and I can't think a dual CPU system will be as happy with six modules. I have a z420  (E5-1620 v2)- strictly a single CPU- with 4X 4GB + 4X 2GB and the memory benchmark was higher with only 4X 4GB.   The z620 (E5-1680 v2) has 8X8GB of identical HP / Samsung 8GB modules (PC3-14900R) and has very good memory benchmark results (Passmark to 3030).

Memory choice, uniformity, and symmetry is especially important to function and good performance in dual processor systems.

BambiBoom

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.