Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp z620
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi! I have been trying to install windows 7 on a usb however my ssd is not detected and is asking for drivers. Can't get my way around the computer setup. Where can I find the drivers? Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if changing the drive controller setting in the BIOS from  RAID+AHCI to just AHCI, resolves the problem.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if changing the drive controller setting in the BIOS from  RAID+AHCI to just AHCI, resolves the problem.

HP Recommended

the z620 has two SATA controllers,.. two ports come off the chipset and are normal sata ports (no drivers needed)

the rest of the SATA ports come from the c602 enterprise chipset and will not be working under win 7 until the enterprise RSTe driver is installed

the two 'GRAY' SATA Ports of the six horizontally placed ports on the bottom-right of the mobo are normal the SATA III 6Gb/s Ports. the other 4 ports are driven from the c602 chipset and require the driver to be loaded

visit the HP site for the RSTe driver (the win 7 v3 RSTe driver does work under win 10,  but the RSTe ver 4 is the perfered solution for this os DL it from the intel web site

HP Recommended

Thank you very much! It worked! I should have asked earlier, it would have saved me 2 days. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info, i'll definitely take note of this. It might get handy in the future. Cheers! 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

To OP....

First, you started with this:  "Hi! I have been trying to install windows 7 on a usb....." and I don't understand what you mean.  Were you trying to install on an external USB-attached HDD or SSD and boot from that?  Or, a USB thumb drive and boot from that?

Second, what exactly worked?  The advice from Paul, or the advice from DGroves?  Both provided answers.

Thanks for clarifying those two quesitons...... I keep a stash of these "pearls" and want to get it right.....

HP Recommended

Hi SDH,

Thank you for bringing this up, it does indeed sound confusing. I was trying to install windows 7 onto an ssd using a usb thumb drive. 

To further clarify, the ssd was connected to the "SATA III 6Gb/s port, which is the 'GRAY' SATA Ports of the six horizontally placed ports on the bottom-right of the mobo" of which (thanks to DGroves) are the "normal ports". And I made sure my ssd was connected to one of the two 'Gray' ports. 

Paul's suggestion to "change the drive controller setting in the BIOS from  RAID+AHCI to just AHCI" solved the problem. 

Thanks DGrove & Paul for sharing your knowledge, both were helpful. Thanks SDH, pls let me know if there is anything else and hope you'd accept this "tiny pearl" offering.

HP Recommended

just a quick update, to be clear.... the four ports on the motherboard that connect to the intel c60x chip will require the intel RSTe (enterprise driver for windows 7 if using windows 10 the driver is included (not sure about win 😎

the enterprise RSTe driver is diffrent than the normal RST driver because it has support for the C60x chipset that the consumer RST driver lacks

the two blue ports  should work under in 7 without a driver as they are standard sata ports which use the normal RST driver

you should allways have Raid/AHCI enabled in the bios , selecting IDE will slow down disk read/writes to the point where it's noticeable by most people   and just because Raid/AHCI is enabled does not mean that raid is being used only that the system is capable of it should you now care to enable this fearure what is important is that it also activates AHCI mode which is a much much faster disk accesss mode that is supported by XP and onward

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.