Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Team,

I want to buy a GTX 1080 card for my Z640 workstation. I coundnot find any information on the hardware compatibility between the workstation and the graphics card.

Can anyone help me on this?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

HI.

The graphic you are trying to install is not compatible with your computer.

Regards.

☑ I do not work for HP, I volunteer.
☑ To close the topic, check "accept as a solution" the correct answer or Thumb to say thank you.
☑ I'm sorry but you do not answer questions privately.
HP Recommended

@GPU-2 wrote:

HI.

Regards.

And why is it not compatible?

HP Recommended

@kcspkd wrote:

Hi Team,

I want to buy a GTX 1080 card for my Z640 workstation. I coundnot find any information on the hardware compatibility between the workstation and the graphics card.

Can anyone help me on this?

There is no reason why it would not work. The two things you should check is:

i) physical size - graphics cards come in different sizes, both legth, width and height wise, obviously you need to make sure there is space in the case for the card to fit

ii) power requirements - make sure you have enough power and appropriate connections.

I am using a GTX1070 G1 Gaming in a Z420 with the 600W PSU and it is working fine.

HP Recommended

@MtothaJ wrote:

@GPU-2 wrote:

HI.

Regards.

You should know, follow your recommendations and comment later, hope you have luck.

☑ To close the topic, check "accept as a solution" the correct answer or Thumb to say thank you.
HP Recommended

@GPU-2 wrote:

@MtothaJ wrote:

@GPU-2 wrote:

HI.

Regards.

You should know, follow your recommendations and comment later, hope you have luck.

I do know, its just a shame you don't and are misleading other members with your negative value posts.

GTX 1080 +400 USD upgrade option:

https://zworkstations.com/products/z640/

HP Recommended

@MtothaJ wrote:

@GPU-2 wrote:

@MtothaJ wrote:

@GPU-2 wrote:

HI.

Regards.

I do know, its just a shame you don't and are misleading other members with your negative value posts.

GTX 1080 +400 USD upgrade option:

https://zworkstations.com/products/z640/

Friend I said that it is not compatible, if you have made it work, I do not say otherwise ... I only said to do the test.

HP Recommended

I want to buy a GTX 1080 card for my Z640 workstation.

kcspkd, you can install and use a GTX card such as the GTX 1080 in your Z640 without any problems. GTX cards work as a charm in any Z4xx/Z6xx/Z8xx workstation. I have a GTX 760Ti in a Z800 and a GTX Titan X Pascal in a Z440.

HP Recommended

@Z440Roger wrote:

I want to buy a GTX 1080 card for my Z640 workstation.

kcspkd, you can install and use a GTX card such as the GTX 1080 in your Z640 without any problems. GTX cards work as a charm in any Z4xx/Z6xx/Z8xx workstation. I have a GTX 760Ti in a Z800 and a GTX Titan X Pascal in a Z440.

This.

They are not supported becase we do not test them in our workstions, but they work fine.

However, you cannot SLi GForce cards in Workstations so you will be stuck with a single card.

(Ok, you can installed more than one card and have multimonitors but they will not SLi.)

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
HP Recommended

I have a Z620 with a GTx 1080 and when I play BattleField it gets crap FPS.  If you look at thsi site they saying this shoudl work fine.  Why is this thing not using my of my GPU and pumping out more FPS.  The CPU does not look like i tis holding anything back. 

https://zworkstations.com/products/z620/

70% CPU

30-40 % of GPU 

20% Mem use

FPS end up at 40-60 in game all drives clean installed nothing running in background

I have done all the different BF Setting 

Enable performance

Sync off

Change Med HIgh Ultra

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.