Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

I tried really hard to fix this by myself. Unfortunatelly with no success, therfore I'm asking you for help. I think I will go crazy if I continue by myself.

I would like to access the Computer Setup (F10) during bootup. I tried for half a day (!) with all recomended key combinations (Esc, F10, etc...) but I really can't access the BIOS Setup of this machine.

By the way, I'm using a HP Brand PS/2 Keyboard. It is definitely working. (After this post I will switch to my z620 and verify, that the keyboard is working there...but I'm 99% sure)

I did update the BIOS to the latest version 3.91, and yes, I did reset the CMOS(this did work, as the date was set back and I had to press F1 to persist it)

I have an installed Windows 10 x64, and through this I can use HP Performance Advisor to access some of the BIOS settings. But of course I need full access outside of my existing windows installation in the long run.

(as for example later on I would like to install a NAND drive, and boot from it...for this, full access to the BIOS has to be the very first step, don't you think ?).

When I boot, the following is displayed:

1: blinking cursor on upper left corner, POST Messages on lower right corner (92, then switching to B2). Nothing else, no "HP Splash screen" or anything like this. No beeps.

2:

Version 2.15.1229. Copyright (C) American Megatrends, Inc. 

32768 MB                            32768 MB

Press <CTRL + P> to Enter MEBX setup menu

J63 v03.91 Executing POST Delay HP Z820 Workstation

Press the ESC key for Startup Menu

After holding this for the set POST delay of 60s the system boots into Windows 10

- > Pressing, Holding, etc.. the ESC Key does absolutelly nothing on screen 2.

-> When I press CTRL + P (just out of curiosity to seee anything else) 

"Entering MEBX setup menu ......" is displayed below the other MEBX related information. But that's it. Nothing happens. Except at the end of the 60s POST delay, the machine boots to windows 10.

What is going on with this System ? Any hints ideas or help are realy greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The mistery just solved itself:

The reason for this behaviour was that I was using the DVI connector, instead of the Display Port connector, of my Quadro 2000 graphics card used for now in this machine.

As soon as I switched to a Display Port and used a Display Port to DVI Adaptor cable for my monitor, everything started to function as expected and I can now access setup (F10) and other menus.

This is a realy weird and hard to hunt down error. I would have expected better error messages from a HP Workstation to guide the user in the right direction from the beginning. Realy bad design from a users perspective. It's not 1970 anymore.

SO, with HP Workstations (at least z820), make sure you are using the Display Port connector of your graphics card. Or at least, if you don't get any reaction hitting ESC or F10 or anything else during bootup, give it a shot early on, try switching your display connector. Weird, but I would have loved to find a post somewhere about this a little bit earlier today.

I case anyone already read this, and started investigating: thanks anyway 🙂

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

The mistery just solved itself:

The reason for this behaviour was that I was using the DVI connector, instead of the Display Port connector, of my Quadro 2000 graphics card used for now in this machine.

As soon as I switched to a Display Port and used a Display Port to DVI Adaptor cable for my monitor, everything started to function as expected and I can now access setup (F10) and other menus.

This is a realy weird and hard to hunt down error. I would have expected better error messages from a HP Workstation to guide the user in the right direction from the beginning. Realy bad design from a users perspective. It's not 1970 anymore.

SO, with HP Workstations (at least z820), make sure you are using the Display Port connector of your graphics card. Or at least, if you don't get any reaction hitting ESC or F10 or anything else during bootup, give it a shot early on, try switching your display connector. Weird, but I would have loved to find a post somewhere about this a little bit earlier today.

I case anyone already read this, and started investigating: thanks anyway 🙂

HP Recommended

We use a lot of Quadro 2000 and 2000D cards.

The 2000D has two DVI ports, and the bottom one is the "primary" port (so, a monitor connected to it will default to the left position if you have two displays attached).

The regular Quadro 2000 has a bottom DVI port and two Display Port ports above.  Those are not "HDMI" ports.

If two monitors are attached to one of those we use the bottom DVI port for the left monitor and the next up (bottom of the two) Display Port port for the right hand monitor.

Never have seen that issue you describe about not getting into BIOS until switching to a DP to DVI adapter...... I have had to use PS2 keyboard/moust however.

HP Recommended

Yeah, switching to DP ain't it. I have this problem (can't access MBex stuff) in Window 10, and I still can't get into it. HP, can you shed some light on this? Pressing Control + P at post time will not allow me to get into the MBex stuff.

HP Recommended

I have hit this issue not being able to get into a Z620 workstation that was not BIOS-locked.  The solution was to use a PS2 keyboard and mouse to get in.

HP Recommended

Using a PS2 mouse/keyboard is NOT the issue. I forgot to mention that when I press control + P, the post message SAYS, "entering MEXB Setup..." (or MXEB? I forgot) but it proceeds straight to Windows 10. Doesn't actually GET into the setup. I think this is a strange way Windows 10 has hijacked the boot process, and HP didn't, and can't, account for it. I even tried resetting the CMOS battery, still wouldn't allow me in. I even took out the Windows 10 hard drive, so it couldn't boot to Windows. It STILL won't enter the MBEX setup! (or however you type it)

HP Recommended

while i have no idea what is causing your issue i can tell you that my z800 nvidia 970/z820 nvidia 1080 systems with windows 10 do not have any issues reguarding accessing the bios or the intel AMT portion of the bios

the systems access the bios normally using my usb logitech keyboard or the HP ps2 keyboard.

the same applys to my logitech usb mice or the ps2 mice

you may have a monitor that is not switching modes correctly, or a semi defective video card or even a bad video cable

also on either video card i use the DVI connectors and it did not matter which connector was used when using only one monitor it showed the boot screen and also allowed normal bios functions. i have also used nvidia 780, and ati 6950 cards in thes systems and again no issues with display/bios access

HP Recommended

Ungh. It's not the video card.... think about it... if it was getting into the MBex setup, and the graphics card wasn't switching resolutions, it would STAY in the setup, but I wouldn't be able to see it. Instead, it's booting straight to windows. It's saying it's entering MBex setup, but it doesn't get to that screen, it goes straight to Windows. I don't have a defective video card or cable. And this is about a Z820, which is a very different beast than a z800. So thanks for the input, but it's not pertinent.

Also, I'm able to get into BIOS setup just fine. But not the MBex screen.

HP Recommended

my reply was not directed to you but rather the poster "notthesame" who started this thread

which you then posted in about your problem with accessing the intel AMT perhaps i should have made this more clear in my original post 

HP Recommended

I've been hunting this information for nine months.  A friend found this link.  I unplugged all my monitors and just used one old DVI monitor in card one - whalla!!!!

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.