Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi guys.. looking for some support if possible.  

Pretty much a noob to HPDM but I'm learning fast!!

I have a new deployment of HPDM 4.7 SP3 installed which has an agent version of 4.7.3660.23743. 

I've inhertied a Thin Client estate which mostly has a 4yr old version of the client out there, ver 4.4.3660.12990. These clients are mainly t610s. 

Ive tried to import 10 or so of these clients manually, but they arent checking in and remain in the Unidentified tab. 

Ive found some newer thin clients, t620s, running clients around 4.6, and they check in no problem and i can upgrade them via the _Upgrade Agent job, no problems.

If i try to manually point these older agents to my DM server, I get "Error of writing gateway address, please retry it", i guess the agent software is corrupted in some way. 

These are all WES7 32bit clients so there appears to be no MSI or method for me to deploy this manually. 

Willing to set a GPO to upgrade these agents if need be.. is there any manual method for upgrading 32bit OS agents?

Tried to pick apart the _Upgrade Agent task also, to see if i can script this manually, but I'm having no luck with this. 

Any help appreciated with a way to upgrade my agents!! 

Thanks

Andy 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

"Error of writing gateway address, please retry it" usually indicate that you don't have enough permission to write the configuration to files, it may caused by

1. Local application of Write Filter has some problems

2. You're not running it with administartor

On those Thin Clients with old DM Agent:

1. Disable Write Filter Manual and restart the system

2. Navigate to c:\windows\xpeagent

3. empty the agent.log and Child.log

4. Restart the HPDM Agent Service using either commandline or Service Manager

5. Check if the Agent is startable

Check the agent.log if the DM agent can't start.

If the DM agent is started, rediscover it from DM Console  and see if it could be registried successfully.

Check the agent.log if the still cannot checking in.

I am an HPI Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HPI.
**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

"Error of writing gateway address, please retry it" usually indicate that you don't have enough permission to write the configuration to files, it may caused by

1. Local application of Write Filter has some problems

2. You're not running it with administartor

On those Thin Clients with old DM Agent:

1. Disable Write Filter Manual and restart the system

2. Navigate to c:\windows\xpeagent

3. empty the agent.log and Child.log

4. Restart the HPDM Agent Service using either commandline or Service Manager

5. Check if the Agent is startable

Check the agent.log if the DM agent can't start.

If the DM agent is started, rediscover it from DM Console  and see if it could be registried successfully.

Check the agent.log if the still cannot checking in.

I am an HPI Employee.
HP Recommended

Hi Chen.. thanks for the reply.

The Write Filter is switched off.

Your permissions direction set me off on the right path.. it appears UAC on the Thin Clients was preventing any changes in the xpeagent path.

However, even after readding the MACs and IPs manually in the console, they wont check in automaticly, the only way to add them in is to manually point the agent to my Gateway address.. This isnt ideal for my clients.

Looking at the agent.log does really offer anything to try..

2016-07-07 10:49:20 INFO  Agent starts.
2016-07-07 10:49:20 WARN  Try to get basic network information.
2016-07-07 10:49:20 INFO  Succeeded to get basic network information.

Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

What's the network infrastructure between Thin Client and DM Gateway? 

Sounds like your Thin Clients are behind NAT that Gateway can't detect it directly through either IP address or MACs 

If this is the case, I would suggest you try the DHCP option way - after setting the DHCP option 203, when the thin client restart it will read the information from DHCP tag and then find the right Console to register.

If you look at the Admin Guide - Chapter 3 Device Discovery, you would find more information on this topic.

I am an HPI Employee.
HP Recommended

Hi Chen.. I managed to resolve my issue... Thanks for your help.

I ended up editing the CurrentGateway key within HKLM\Software\HP\DM Agent\Config\

My clients all checked in perfectly the next day.. I can set the key in a GPO for a future rollout.

One last issue.. It appears I can only upgrade the clients via an FTP repoistory, which isnt ideal as I was hoping to only use Shared Folder repo's is there any way around this for future client updates?

Thanks
Andy

HP Recommended

Generally, you need to go to Tools -> Configuration -> Repository Management to disable the FTP protocol and only use ShareFolder. 

However, since you have very old thin client, like 4.4.xxxx which doesn't support ShareFolder. For those Thin Client, FTP is the only option to do the upgrade.

Once your thinclient are with the latest verion, or version after 4.5, you can simply disable FTP protocol in Repository Management dialog and only use SMB per needs.

I am an HPI Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.