Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Device Manager
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 (64-bit)

Recently, the network security guys made a policy of segregating servers like the HPDM server from clients, like our HP thin clients. Now, when I push settings changes and small stuff from the HPDM to the clients, that works fine, but doing anything like a capture or deploy results in the client rebooting into Windows PE mode, but then sitting there on the screen that says "Set Shared Folder" and then finally rebooting after 10 minutes of doing nothing.

The error on the HPDM when this happens reads as follows:

[Error Details]: Deploy image using repository Master Repository.
Failed to download t5740_2017-5_ff52.ibr from /Repository/Images/t5740_2017-5-ff52.
Failed to execute DeployImage task.
ErrorCode: 1083392, Error Info:  \Ndm\branches\Release_4.6.5\Source\Cpp\Agents\Core\Task\common\ImageTask.cpp@250:	Failed to connect the shared folder.
\Ndm\branches\Release_4.6.5\Source\Cpp\Agents\Core\Task\common\ImageTask.cpp@249:	The network path was not found.
\Ndm\branches\Release_4.6.5\Source\Cpp\Agents\Core\Task\common\ImageTask.cpp@250:	Failed to connect the shared folder.
\Ndm\branches\Release_4.6.5\Source\Cpp\Agents\Core\Task\common\ImageTask.cpp@249:	The network path was not found.

Can anyone tell if this is possible to do? What ports do I need to open between the two VLANs in order to allow this to work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for replying. I was able to fix the issue by adding a second, virtual NIC to the VM that hosts HPDM, giving that NIC a static IP in the second, new VLAN, and then changing the HP Device Gateway program's settings to use that new NIC. I did not need to change the repository information around; only the Gateway was required.

However, I believe that HP should make it more clear that the WinPE environment does use broadcasting to find the HPDM server. My network analyst looked at the traffic coming off the thin clients while in in the "connecting to Share Folder" mode, and it was all broadcast...which of course does not work between VLANs. It is a good thing that we were moving all the thin clients to the new VLAN, because if we had to keep some on the original subnet and some on the new, it would be impossible to image them all.

Look at this guy's post here from October of last year. He is in that boat.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

The deploy is supposed to happen without PXE, of course - I know that PXE broadcasts will fail across VLANs. Is there any way to open up a log screen while in the WinPE deploy environment on the client, in order to see more details about the problem? Right now the client machines don't tell me anything at all; they just sit at a screen for 10 minutes and reboot. It'd be nice to see what they're seeing.

HP Recommended

What networking protocols are used for the multi-step process of capturing and/or deploying an image? The newest 4.7 HPDM shows HTTPS, SFTP, FTP/FTPS, and "Shared Folders" (which I assume is a way of saying SMB - although I wish they'd just #!$# say SMB then haha).

My clients all get stuck at the WinPE screen, "Set Up Share Folder" text on the screen, then reboot after ten minutes. There has to be some way to get client-side logs to see more of what is happening on the client. The server logs are the ones I posted in the original post.

HP Recommended

Test the share folder connectivity on one of your failed unit using the command:

net use \\<RepositoryIP>\<ShareFolderName> <password> /User:<UserName>

HPDM uses standard port for Shared Folder: TCP 139, 445, UDP,137, 138

I am an HPI Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HPI.
**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**
HP Recommended

Thank you for replying. I was able to fix the issue by adding a second, virtual NIC to the VM that hosts HPDM, giving that NIC a static IP in the second, new VLAN, and then changing the HP Device Gateway program's settings to use that new NIC. I did not need to change the repository information around; only the Gateway was required.

However, I believe that HP should make it more clear that the WinPE environment does use broadcasting to find the HPDM server. My network analyst looked at the traffic coming off the thin clients while in in the "connecting to Share Folder" mode, and it was all broadcast...which of course does not work between VLANs. It is a good thing that we were moving all the thin clients to the new VLAN, because if we had to keep some on the original subnet and some on the new, it would be impossible to image them all.

Look at this guy's post here from October of last year. He is in that boat.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.