Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi every one i have a problem that is quite strange, i have an Hp Z640 workstation with 2 CPu's for quite sometime now and i'm getting the blue screen with the message IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUALIRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL i've tried evey solution i found and the blue screen still showing up, I've re-installed my windows 10 still getting the blue screen, updated windows tried another antivirus but everything seems to not work....so i tried removing the 2nd CPU by removing the riser board et voilà, the workstation seems to work just fine no blue screen nothing, i thought maybe the i should clean or change the memory slot on the board and put it again and the blue screen reappear again.
So my question is have any one get that kind of problem? do may riser board become faulty? can any diagnostics be performed on the riser board to know at least what the problem?
thank you for reading this, and please help me resolve this problem .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi , I have an update on this problem and the solution for it, it seems the Hp z640 workstation Bios have a new update that fixed many problems including what i'have explained in this topic, I'm glade i can use both CPU's with HT enable with no bleu screen or crashes.
thank you all for your help. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL? IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is almost ALWAYS a driver related issue although bad ram can cause corrupted driver related issues

test your ram using a program like the latest release of memtest86+ which supports a uefi bios

HP Recommended

Thank you for your respond,
I guess it's logical to go directly to IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL? IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL as the cause of the problem not as a symptom of it, if the blue screen and it's messages which as i mentioned change an appear after a long time of using the workstation and windows 10 can't really be the result of a drivers or memory problem, getting that kind of problem all of a sudden and resolving it by taking out the riser board and re-using the same memory on it for the main mother board CPU worked fine so far for me, i'm writing this message from the workstation in question.
The problem is could the riser board become faulty? and how i can fix this problem?

HP Recommended

A new developments for this problem, as the diagnostics of the memory shows that they works fine, so i tried to disable the Hyper Threading option and re-insert the riser board with the 2nd CPU, cause i read somewhere that core counts can decrease performances and to my surprise all worked just fine no blue screen....i tried disabling/enabling some other options but as soon i enable the HT the blue screen reaper...even upgrading to windows 10 pro for workstation didn't help, so my conclusions are : 
-something wrong with the CPU HT function
-I need better/specific BIOS configuration for the Xeon E5-2680 V4 for this 2014 workstation with the latest 2020 2.56 bios version .
-maybe i need to downgrade the bios to the previous version

what do you think any suggestions!!

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Yes I did, i usually don't skip that kind of software or drivers cause i know how important it is.

HP Recommended

again, your error is almost always a driver related issue

using the HP workstation cloud recovery, download a z440 restore image which contains the drivers do not download the restore image that does not contain the drivers

have the z440 serial number (if not using the z440)  ready and a 16GB usb key for the restore image

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05115630

HP Recommended

typo, in previous post ignore z440 and replace with z640

HP Recommended

I doubt that it's a driver related issue, cause i have re-installed windows 10 pro three times now always with a fresh downloaded drivers and nothing have changed, till i disabled HT.
I think that i need some guidance on how to setup my bios to make my  Hp z640 workstation return to it previous normal state with HT on.

HP Recommended

Hafidbelk,

That particular error is frustrating as it can be the result of quite a number of conditions, hardware, drivers, and setup. Consider this guide: "7 Solutions to Fix IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Windows 10".

Just to eliminate some other possibilities:

It's been several years since there was a dual CPU system (see z630_1 listed below) in the office, but  there is a BIOS setting: Advanced > Device Options > Multiple Processors = "Enabled".

HP z620_1 (2012)(Rev 5) 2X Xeon E5-2690 (8-core @ 2.9 /3.8GHz) / 64GB (4X 8GB +4X 8GB DDR3-1600) / Quadro K2200 (4GB) / Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB / 800W > Windows 7 Professional 64-bit > HP 2711x (1920 X 1080)
[ Passmark System Rating= 5675 / CPU= 22625 / 2D= 815 / 3D = 3580 / Mem = 2522 / Disk = 12640 ] 9.25.16 Single Thread Mark = 1903

The BIOS may be reset in Setup with the "Apply Defaults" command. 

As the system works without the 2nd CPU riser, that would be a focus for problems.  Although the memory is not showing errors in the diagnostic, consider starting the system with only one RAM module in the first slot corresponding to each CPU , booting into safe mode with no internet. If it works, that may signal a problem with the RAM in terms of communication with the riser or possibility of other problems with the riser.  Is it perfectly seated in the socket? How long has that riser been used in the system?

I've noticed a number of posts in various laces citing problems with the latest version of Windows 10,  20H2. What version is the subject system using?

BambiBoomZ

HP z620_2 (2017) (R7) > Xeon E5-1680 v2 (8C@ 4.3GHz) / z420 Liquid Cooling / 64GB (HP/Samsung 8X 8GB DDR3-1866 ECC registered) / Quadro P2000 5GB _ GTX 1070 Ti 8GB / HP Z Turbo Drive M.2 256GB AHCI + Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB + HGST 7K6000 4TB + HP/HGST Enterprise 6TB / Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 sound interface + 2X Mackie MR824 / 825W PSU / Windows 7 Prof.’l 64-bit (HP OEM) > 2X Dell Ultrasharp U2715H (2560 X 1440)

[ Passmark Rating = 6280 / CPU rating = 17178 / 2D = 819 / 3D= 12629 / Mem = 3002 / Disk = 13751 / Single Thread Mark = 2368 [10.23.18]

HP z420_3: (2015) (R11) Xeon E5-1650 v2 (6C@ 4.3GHz) / z420 Liquid cooling / 64GB (HP/Samsung 8X 8GB DDR3-1866 ECC registered) / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/ HP/LSI 9212-4i > Samsung 860 EVO 500GB + HGST 4TB / ASUS Essence STX + Logitech z2300 2.1 / 600W PSU > Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (HP OEM ) > Samsung 40" 4K

[Passmark System Rating: = 5644 / CPU = 15293 / 2D = 847 / 3D = 10953 / Mem = 2997 Disk = 4858 /Single Thread Mark = 2384 [6.27.19]

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.