SamShomali
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

I can't find/enable TPM1.2 on my Z420 Workstation

HP Recommended
Z420 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I can't find/enable TPM1.2 on my Z420 Workstation.

I run TPM.msc on my windows 10 and I get this:

SamShomali_0-1633780905426.png

I can't find an option in the BIOS to enable it. The BIOS version that I have is the latest: which is 3.96 REV.A
Appreciate your help. Also, in the BIOS settings, I was not able to anything related to Embedded Security Device in the Security Menu that I can either enable or disable.

I tried to run the HP TPM configuration utility, it gave me the following error:

SamShomali_0-1633782354180.png

Thank you in advance

4 REPLIES 4
SamShomali
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just to clarify, in the BIOS settings, there is no Embedded Security Device in the Security Menu that I can either enable or disable.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
DGroves
Level 11
4,688 4,662 440 990
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

depending on the region/area the system was sold in you may not have TPM enabled usually there will be a sticker stating no TPM attached somewhere on the inside of the case

countries like china/Russia prohibit TPM so HP disables this feature even though the board may have the TPM chip installed

https://www.gp-digital.org/world-map-of-encryption/

1 person found this reply helpful
SamShomali
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.
I live in Australia and I bought the Workstation locally as a second hand. There might be a chance that this machine came from overseas (China,...)

Is there a way that I can enable the Chip? 

Thank you for your appreciated help in advance.

DGroves
Level 11
4,688 4,662 440 990
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

no, if HP disabled the TPM you will need to replace the board with one that has it enabled

personally the TPM issue is not a real problem i would simply ignore it windows 10 will happily run fine without it

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation