Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am very curious to learn just what it is that the jumper between the PCIe slots on an FMB-1102 motherboard does. I have searched high and low but cannot seem to find any refernce to it in any documentation. The dilemma is that my Hauppauge TV tuner card is not recognized in the Gen3 slots, but it is in the Gen2 ones. I have the current BIOS (3.88) and was inspecting my boaerd when I noticed this jumper. Wanted to know its function. Thought maybe it defined the cardslot parameters in some way. Any help?

Cheers,

Pete

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

pete914, is the Z620 jumper you are asking about located between the white PCI-32 connector and the black PCIe connector above it?  Is it the jumper highlighted in yellow in the picture below?

Z620_E15_Boot_Block_jumper.PNG

If so, this is the E15 Boot Block recovery header.  There is a jumper on pins 2 and 3 (right hand side pins in this picture). 

Moving the jumper from pins 2-3 (default) to 1-2 manufally forces the system into boot block recovery mode.  Starting the system with the jumper on pins 1-2 will cause the system to try to reflash the system BIOS from an attached USB drive.  It will appear like the system is not booting, and there will be some keyboard flashes and maybe some screen prompts (It's been a very long time since I tried this). 

If the system BIOS ROM is corrupted, the system will automatically go into boot block recovery mode.  It can be forced into this mode by moving the jumper and then rebooting the system.  If you system boots normally, do not move this jumper.  Leave it alone. 

Does this answer your question?

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HP.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you problem was solved. This helps other forum readers.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

i recommend you search the Service and Maintenance manual for guidance. Available in the Manuals section of the driver downloads pages for each product

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

I've already scoured the manual... It does not explain it, hence the post for any information

HP Recommended

pete914, is the Z620 jumper you are asking about located between the white PCI-32 connector and the black PCIe connector above it?  Is it the jumper highlighted in yellow in the picture below?

Z620_E15_Boot_Block_jumper.PNG

If so, this is the E15 Boot Block recovery header.  There is a jumper on pins 2 and 3 (right hand side pins in this picture). 

Moving the jumper from pins 2-3 (default) to 1-2 manufally forces the system into boot block recovery mode.  Starting the system with the jumper on pins 1-2 will cause the system to try to reflash the system BIOS from an attached USB drive.  It will appear like the system is not booting, and there will be some keyboard flashes and maybe some screen prompts (It's been a very long time since I tried this). 

If the system BIOS ROM is corrupted, the system will automatically go into boot block recovery mode.  It can be forced into this mode by moving the jumper and then rebooting the system.  If you system boots normally, do not move this jumper.  Leave it alone. 

Does this answer your question?

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HP.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you problem was solved. This helps other forum readers.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the information!

HP Recommended

How can I understand a problem with Z620 FMB-1102 motherboard by LED blinling. First - blue, then 4 times blinks red.

HP Recommended

Try reading the manual.....  here is version 5:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04205252

HP Recommended

Thank You. Already found, solved

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.