Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840 G1 (i7)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hello together

When I start my Notebook there is a text in red coleur on the top left corner: ME State in Recovery Mode

The Problem is that, when I start my Notebook it takes very long. Sometimes over 1 minute.

And theres also a problem with dhe driver:

Intel(R) Management Engine Interface 

It shows me to update it but it doesnt work.

At the managing device it shows Error Code 10

STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE

Thanks for you Help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The issue to consider resolving first is the "ME State in Recovery Mode" as it may then resolve your other concerns.

So if you Googled "ME State in Recovery Mode", the second hit would likley have pointed to this HP document. Sadly HP's suggestion is to go to Intel for a Full update of the ME engine (which may not be so helpfull if auto driver updated don't work for you as i expect).

As such, i'd look at updating BIOS to latest, then updating ME to latest (in that order) as provided by HP on their download page for your HP EliteBook 840 G1.

Currently the latest Bios version is 01.40 while the latest ME version is version 9.5.61.3012. The ME firmware update tool is version 1.0.0.0.

So, install these updates as they resolve some security issues. Before installing them, you should read the release notes and install instructions carefully and follow what's stated fully. 

If you already have these versions installed, try reinstalling them (again following the release notes and install instructions ).

Hopefully this will resolve your "ME State in Recovery Mode" and the other problems will fall away as a result.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

The issue to consider resolving first is the "ME State in Recovery Mode" as it may then resolve your other concerns.

So if you Googled "ME State in Recovery Mode", the second hit would likley have pointed to this HP document. Sadly HP's suggestion is to go to Intel for a Full update of the ME engine (which may not be so helpfull if auto driver updated don't work for you as i expect).

As such, i'd look at updating BIOS to latest, then updating ME to latest (in that order) as provided by HP on their download page for your HP EliteBook 840 G1.

Currently the latest Bios version is 01.40 while the latest ME version is version 9.5.61.3012. The ME firmware update tool is version 1.0.0.0.

So, install these updates as they resolve some security issues. Before installing them, you should read the release notes and install instructions carefully and follow what's stated fully. 

If you already have these versions installed, try reinstalling them (again following the release notes and install instructions ).

Hopefully this will resolve your "ME State in Recovery Mode" and the other problems will fall away as a result.

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks a lot. Sorry for writing so late.

I did everything as written and finally it worked. Thanks a lot.

Hopefully it stays like this. 

HP Recommended

I have the same issue  "ME State in Recovery Mode" issue with my HP Elitebook 8770w and I also have an issue where I can only boot off  my C Drive, the options to boot from anyother device during start up are grayed out.  It seems that both issues started when my motherboard was fried, and a new one mother board was installed, and I am beginnng to think the replacement board was not the same as the original.

What would be the best way to fix both issues.

Thank you,

Daniel63

HP Recommended

Daniel63,.............skylarkings reply also applies to you

reset your bios to defaults

download and install the latest bios for your laptop model from HP

HP Notebook System BIOS Update  F.70 Rev.A  (if using win 10 look under win 8.1)

download and install the latest "ME" updates for your laptop model from HP,... do the 50 meg full updater first then the 5mb update last if the revision is higher (check the "details link for revisions)

Intel Management Engine (ME) Firmware Update Tool for DOS or EFI (50meg)

Intel Corporate Management Engine (ME) Firmware Component (5meg)

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-elitebook-8770w-mobile-workstation/5257511

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.