Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp z420 workstation
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
Hi! I'm trying to update the mei firmware on the workstation, but it fails. If i try to flash in dos it give me the error "cannot locate me device driver", in windows the me devide has an error code 10 and the driver not start (so the update can'to go on). In bios if i go in the system information menu for get the me version, i have a blank field. Before trying to update the me firmware i've updated the bios firmware. Was 1.02, done the update to 1.23, and finally to the last one. What i can try to do? Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

motherboard has failed, replace board or entire system

as to why it failed, well **bleep** happens and neither of us has access to the equipment to determine which chip on the board is the cause

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

updating the intel AMT/ME firmware can be confusing due to the documentation being rather poor making it hard for a new user to understand how to do it

here's how to do it  (win  7/10  x64)

1. update the bios to the latest

2. enable the Intel AMT in the bios (do not enter the AMT or it will require you to set a password!!, just enable it)

if you set a AMT password write it down!!!! you can not recover this password, so if lost your screwed!

reboot and now check device manager, if AMT is enabled in the bios you will see a pci com ctrl with a yellow " ! "

2. download the Intel AMT software package for your workstation model  and install it this installs the Serial Over Lan driver (SOL) and the nessary software to manage the AMT  (and removes the yellow " ! "

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp74001-74500/sp74499.exe

3. now download the correct AMT Firmware update package for your workstation model

Intel Management Engine Firmware Update and Utilities 71913272-81723002 Rev.A  

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-z420-workstation/5225033      (look under firmware tab)

the  service pack you want is   sp82644,  dbl click on it to extract the files to your hard drive please read the text below, it has critical information on how to actually run the firmware update. i strongly recomend you do a auto update and not a manual update as the auto updater will determine the correct file to use for the update 

===========================================================================================

This Intel Management Engine Firmware (ME FW) Flash Update SoftPaq contains utilities and images that can be used to update the Intel Management Engine firmware to version...

7.1.91.3271 on Z420, Z620, Z820, Z1 G1, Z210 CMT, and Z210 SFF Workstations

Or

8.1.72.3002 on Z420, Z620, Z820, Z1 G1, Z220 CMT, and Z220 SFF Workstations. 

This SoftPaq also includes tools to report status and other information from the ME firmware.

This Softpaq does NOT include a system BIOS image. However, it is recommended that the system BIOS be updated to the latest version available before upgrading the ME firmware. 

HP Management Engine firmware SoftPaqs have been updated to include two batch files for easy deployment. The first batch file, update.bat, is automatically called when the SoftPaq is run. You have an option to decline the automated update and perform a manual update at a later time. The second batch file, silent.bat, can be called by IT professionals to silently deploy the firmware update (no user interaction required). 

Prerequisites when using the Windows update utilities. 

1. You must install the latest Intel Management Engine Software. Intel Management Engine Interface drivers are required.

2. You must run the update.bat, FWUpdLclMe[x].exe, or FWUpdLcl64Me[x].exe with administrative privileges.

If User Account Control (UAC) is not set to "Never Notify" you will see a UAC prompt even when using the silent install options (silent.bat)

Please note that Z420, Z620, Z820, and Z1 G1 had support for ME FW 7.x prior to supporting ME FW 8.x. It is critical to identify which ME FW version is currently installed on the target system(s) being updated. 

The automated scripts provided, silent.bat and update.bat, will correctly identify the current ME FW version installed and update to the corresponding ME FW version. 

If updating the ME FW manually it is advised to update as follows. 

7.x --> 7.1.91.3271
8.x --> 8.1.72.3002

HP Recommended
Hi! Thank you for the support, but after step 2 (drivers install) i get 2 peripherals with yellow mark, "Intel(R) Management Interface" (error code 10) and "Intel(R) Active Management Technology - SOL (COM23)"
I need to try on a new os?
Thanks!
HP Recommended

go to the HP driver page for the z420, download the AMT software package for your OS

(check if the "SP" number is the same as the link i gave you} it's possible the win 7 package is diffrent than the win 10 package

if the packages differ, uninstall the one i linked to, reboot and install the correct one for your os

Last, if you are not on a domain, but rather a single user of the system there is no reasion to have the AMT enabled/software installed, simply disable AMT in the bios and then uninstall the AMT software

HP Recommended
On the support site i get SP71424 as the correct driver for 7 x64, but also with this, i have a code 10 error in device management.
Also tried installing a fresh 10 and doong the experiments form here (normal cd, without code,only for test) and the first reboot after installing the driver i get a bsod and the os not start anymore.
HP Recommended

as i stated in my first post

you must have the intel AMT enabled in the bios

once AMT is enabled, you should see a s"Unknown" serial device in device manager on com 3  with a " ! "

if you do not see a com 3 device, then the AMT software/driver package WILL NOT INSTALL

HP Recommended
Hi! I win 7 x64 i see mei driver and com 23 driver, butnon both there is a yellow exclamation mark,with error code 10 starting the driver.
In win10 when i install the amt driver, at the first reboot i get a bsod.
HP Recommended

you should only see ONE  device with the ! when AMT is enabled, if you see more than that you need to determine why another device has issues and resolve before you try the com 3 SOL driver from the AMT software package

HP Recommended
I've noticed that on an identical workstation, but with older bios, in bios configuration, under advanced, i have an amt configuration menu, missing on the problematic workstation (that have the newest bios available)
HP Recommended

now you know why the AMT software package will not install on this system.

you can try downloading the latest bios for this system and install it

the bios of the z420 has recently been updated to include the "spectre" fix/patch in the bios firmware

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.