Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ever since updating to Windows 10 I couldn’t get my system to fully shutdown, as it turns back open when it does. I tried that even in safe mode. It keeps opening back again after it shutdowns (The power on after power failure is disabled in bios)

Any ideas ?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Mr_projects,

Consider these possible solutions:

https://www.minitool.com/backup-tips/windows-10-wont-shut-down.html

BambiBoomZ

HP Recommended

This solution isn't relevant because my PC shuts down then turns on afterwards by itself. (I corrected my original topic post to make it clear)

HP Recommended

Mr_projects,

Try this then:

https://appuals.com/windows-10-restarts-instead-of-shutting-down

BambiBoomZ

HP Recommended

Have you waded through and checked the W10 power management advanced settings yet? (In the Control Panel)

Try unplugging everything from the system, leaving only the mains power lead, a single monitor cable, keyboard and mouse plugged in to the base unit. Check to see if the system shuts down correctly? If the answer is no, then continue by disconnecting all internal peripheral hardware from the motherboard, apart from the OS drive, and a single GPU card. Basically remove or disconnect everything from the system apart from the bare essentials to boot up. Then check if the system will shut down correctly?

If the answer is no, then re-connect all the internal and external devices as before. and post your results.

If unplugging, disconnecting the devices does allow the system to shut down correctly, then gradually re-connect the devices to identify the cause.

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
HP Recommended

the z820 (and 620) will power back on if the system determines something is over the defined temp range

check the current cpu temp

also, i have seen corrupted win 10 installs that do this, a clean reinstall of the OS with the CORRECT drivers installed usually fixes most shutdown related issues

HP Recommended

I tried everything above, still didn't work. Could it be the CMOS battery ? 

HP Recommended

@mr_projects wrote:

Ever since updating to Windows 10 I couldn’t get my system to fully shutdown

Any ideas ?

Upgrades can be problematic and the fastest way to solve the issue would be to do a clean install of Windows 10. Use the Media Creation Tool to create the install media and then go to Software and drivers for HP Z820 Workstation to download drivers such as Chipset, Storage, Network.

Many times it takes far longer time to troubleshoot and hopefully find a solution than doing a clean install and installing drivers and apps.

HP Recommended

I did do a clean install two days ago. Same thing

HP Recommended

O.k, then i would have open the Device Manager, right click on each one of the Network adapters and choose Properties. Then click the Power Management tab and uncheck "Allow this device to wake the computer". On the Z800 there is a BIOS setting for this as well, iow to disable wake on LAN.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.