Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 34 AIO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

sorry if this is on the wrong board 

When setting up a remote desktop connection I have the error message “the remote computer requires Network level Authentication which your computer does not support”.

This is about my pc the HP Envy 34 not the remote because (a) I have successfully set up a remote connection link from my laptop running windows 7 to the destination, and (b) as a test set it up from my husband’s desktop in this house running windows 10 to the same destination, it is something going wrong on this pc. I have the correct ‘numbers’ and user logon, I have another remote connection to another workplace and that is fine.

All HP diagnostics test eg long drive self test are passed with no failures. All windows updates are up to date.

Microsoft level 1 connected in and worked for 1.5 hours – they created a test account on this HP envy and were able to set up the remote connection on the test account but they could not set it up on my profile.

(They then created more problems by making my original account a local account and “copying over everything” to the test account and renaming the test account to me. But on the test account none of the emails in the storage folders exist. Microsoft office then worked on the mail problem and were also unable to solve this – another 1.5 hours. )

After 7 hours I have my original profile as a local account which still cannot connect due to “Network level Authentication which your computer does not support” and the test account with missing emails making it untenable – I work for myself for a number of organisations hence the remote connections and need to retain emails.

Anyone any advice please? Many thanks if anyone has a solution 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

trying to remotely resolve this is hard,.......trying to do it via email is almost impossuble

however i can offer some advice.

buy a small SATA HD or SSD depending on your exact envy model, create a Windows Restore DIsk (or USB Key)

power off, remove the existing drive and install the new one, then install windows using the recovery disk/Key

install all windows updates, then install just the application that is giving you a problem, if it now works you can either reinstall the old drive and copy the data to the usb key or if the key is too small place the old drive in a external usb case, reinstall the new drive and once booted connect the usb drive and copy data from it to the new drive

the above is all i have to offer, perhaps someone else has another suguestion.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.