Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP z620
Linux

So I have an HP z620.  I just set up and it is awesome except for...

It seems I can't have PCI 3.0 and  Intel Turbo boost enable at the same time.  This is horrible.  There has got to be away around....

I am unable to get the full power of the gtx 1050ti.  I have Pci performance mode disable and now it says my graphics card are operating in gen 2 pci now.  This would be all right iff I could overclock the Intel Xeon E5 2690's with software, but I can't!....  There has got to be a work around...  Dose anybody have any ideas?

UPDATE

Apparently I have to manually enable PCI3, but I would still like to know exactly what PCI performance mode is and why I can not have Intel Turbo boost enabled with it; because I specifaclly got the e5 2690 for that function for lack of overcloking.  There are other processors with higher base max cloxk speeds I could have used.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

ryanmu,

I had a recent encounter with PCIe Performance Mode as a z620 (E5-1680 V2 8C@ 4.3GHz /64GB /Quadro P2000 / Z Turbo Drive 256GB M.2 > win 7 Prof) had had a motherboard disaster- corrupt BIOS.  The replacement motherboard is underperforming in graphics- he Passmark 3D score dropped from 9030 to 8126.  I tried resetting  each PCIe slot manually from AUTO to the various speeds: 9GB Gen 3, 5GB , 2,5 and etc. but there was no effect.  I saw the setting "PCIE Performance Mode was "Disabled" and thought perhaps this is the reason the GPU isn't running at full speed. I enabled PCIe Performance Mode and magically, the system was running on all cores at 3.0GHz- as among other things, it dsiabled CPU Turbo Mode!

That's the danger of resetting BIOS into the unknown. But, as you mentioned, I also couldn't find explicit doumentation on PCIe Performance Mode.

Consider:

1. Have the latest BIOS (3.92) as an early BIOS will not have heard of a Pascal GPU. My replacement motherboard arrived with 3.15 and the BIOS will not recognize M.2 until 3.69.

2. Verify too that in Control Panel > Power Options, that the power mode is set to High Performance as that keeps the Turbo on more of the time.

3. resetting PCIe Performance Mode in BIOS to Disabled, ensure that Turbo Mode is Enabled, and then,

4. go though each of the slot settings and reset from the current setting: Auto or some value, to the maximum speed listed 2.5, 5, or 8 Gb for each slot. Save each setting by pressing F10 to Accept and then Save Changes and Exit. 

5. If you are still having performance issues or end up in some kind of incomprehensible configuration, reset BIOS to Factory Defaults, and while this will lose your other refinements: you will need to check you Boot Order carefully, and etc. that will let you start over, we hope with full PCIe performance.

I have to emphaasize that I still don't know what PCIE Performance Mode  is good for, as in my experience it had the exactly opposite effect of running the whole system slower  than I thought possible!  Perhaps it's a diagnostic tool.

Be careful, and make a list of each action and the results as you go, in case you need to reverse ithe actions.

I recommend the free trial of Passmark Performance Test 9 to record progress and reversals. 

Let us know what happens.

BambiBoomZ

HP Recommended

Hi All,

I may have solved the mystery? I found this after yet another internet search;

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/4AA7-0431ENW.pdf?utm_source=affiliate&utm_medium=cpa&utm_ca...

Specifically, this information;

PCIe Performance Mode.JPG

So not specifically to improve GPU performance . . .

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
HP Recommended

How to Enable Dell Processor Acceleration Technology

This article describes instructions for implementing DPAT on Dell PowerEdge servers

Table of Contents:
Overview
Processor Acceleration Technology
Enable DPAT in the BIOS
Enable DPAT with RACADM
Enable DPAT using WSMAN
Enable DPAT with DTK
Additional Information

1. Overview
Dell Processor Acceleration Technology (DPAT), enabled through the BIOS, provides a better performing solution than turning turbo off to force operation at the lowest base frequency of the processor while maintaining a more consistent turbo frequency state. DPAT minimizes transition duration when the processor functions in turbo mode, thereby decreasing jitter and allowing for lesser latency. This function is only supported on the Intel E5-2690 processor with newest bios and iDRAC firmware. This feature can be enabled using racadm, Web Services Management (WSMAN), and Dell Deployment ToolKit (DTK) commands.

2. Processor Acceleration Technology
Dell servers can be set to Maximum Performance in the bios but this feature is intended for maximum throughput not latency. Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 was developed to get most speed out of the any running cores in a multicore multiprocessor environment within the power constraints of the CPU. Turbo Boost is activated by the Operating System (OS) following ACPI standards using processor performance states. When the OS instructs an Active core to enter C3 sleep state the other cores dynamically accelerate to a higher frequency. Turbo Boost is limited by the number of cores, current and estimated power consumption and temperature when it runs. The Power Gate Transistor Intel developed means very little power is used by cores when they are off so Active cores can run at a higher frequency. The processor is stepped in 100MHz steps in response to Turbo Boost. There is some latency in stepping frequency, changing C states and other CPU functions.
Some environments such as High Frequency Trading in the Financial Markets need low latency in their transactions. Dell Processor Acceleration Technology (DPAT), enabled through the BIOS, provides a better performing solution than turning turbo off to force operation at the lowest base frequency of the processor. PAT limits the settings for the processor uses to keep latency low all the time. Using Turbo Boost with PAT the fewer cores you activate the faster the clock speed you can use. This was developed for the Intel E5-2690 processor (which runs at 2.9GHZ) so can typically run at 3.8Ghz with a single core, 3.6GHz with a dual core or 3.4GHz with 4-cores.

3. Enabling DPAT in the Bios
The following Dell PowerEdge systems with Intel E5-2690 processors installed, support DPAT
PowerEdge System
Minimum BIOS
Minimum iDRAC Firmware
R720
R720xd
R620
To support DPAT on your system, make the following changes in the BIOS setup.
Set the desired number of cores
Press F2 to enter the System Setup menu
In the Processor Settings screen, set the Number of Cores per Processor to the desired value.
NOTE: The maximum turbo frequency increases with fewer cores enabled.
Make the required changes in the BIOS system profile
Set the System Profile in the BIOS setup to Performance mode
Make the changes using the System Profile Custom selection
- Set the System Profile option in BIOS to Custom mode
- Set CPU Power Management to Maximum Performance mode
- Set the Turbo Boost mode to Enabled
You must enable DPAT with a controlled turbo command using one of the following modes:
RACADM
WSMAN
DTK

4. Enable and Disable DPAT from RACADM
The iDRAC7 can be used to configure DPAT using RACADM commands remotely using Telnet or SSH or locally if DRAC Tools have been installed on the server from the Dell Open Manage disk. Bios settings do not take effect until the server is rebooted and the Lifecycle Controller needs CSIOR to run to update its configuration files. Connect to the iDRAC7 on the server and run the following commands:
A. Enabling DPAT Using RACADM (Firmware RACADM: SSH or Telnet Session)
Set ControlledTurbo to Enable:
$ racadm set bios.procsettings.controlled turbo Enabled
Create commit and host reboot jobs using the job queue command:
$ racadm job queue create BIOS.Setup.1-1 -r pwr cycle -s TIME_NOW -e TIME_NA
Reboot the server and let CSIOR run for the setting to take effect.
NOTE: Ensure that LC and CSIOR are enabled before performing the configuration.
NOTE: The BIOS settings only take effect after the server has been rebooted and CSIOR has run. Attribute value names are case sensitive.

B. Disabling DPAT Using RACADM (Firmware RACADM: SSH or Telnet Session)
Configure ControlledTurbo to Disable:
$ racadm set bios.procsettings.controlled turbo Disabled
Create commit and host reboot jobs using the job queue command:
$ racadm job queue create BIOS.Setup.1-1 -r pwr cycle -s TIME_NOW -e TIME_NA
Reboot the server and let CSIOR run for the setting to take effect.
NOTE: Using Remote RACADM commands thru the network will require authentication: racadm -r <racIpAddr> -u <username> -p <password> ...

5. Enable and Disable DPAT using WSMAN
The iDRAC7 Lifecycle Controller 2 (LC) can be used to update firmware and backup or configure hardware profiles using WSMAN commands. WSMAN allows managing servers remotely without having to install any OS agents. The Microsoft implementation of WSMAN is called Windows Remote Management (WinRM) and is run from command prompt or powershell. For more on how to use the LC Services API consult the manual LC 2 Web Services Guide for Windows.
The WSMAN commands can be used in Linux through small changes in the commands. For more information on Linux consult the manual: LC 2 Web Services Interface Guide for Linux.
NOTE: View the Lifecycle logs from the iDRAC7 Web Interface to determine whether the commands ran properly. If you export the logs more events will be listed with more detailed information. In the exported listing scroll to the bottom of the page since these logs can be long.

Enabling and Disabling DPAT Using WSMAN
To enable or disable DPAT using WSMAN, enter the following command:
winrm i SetAttribute http://schemas.dmtf.org/wbem/wscim/1/cimschema/
%2/root/dcim/DCIM_BIOSService?SystemCreationClass
Name=DCIM_ComputerSystem+CreationClassName=
DCIM_BIOSService+SystemName=DCIM:ComputerSystem+Name=
DCIM:BIOSService -u:%1 -p:%2 -r:https://%3/wsman -
SkipCNcheck -SkipCAcheck -SkipRevocationCheck -
encoding:utf-8 -a:basic -file:set_controlled_turbo.xml
NOTE: Replace %1 with iDRAC userID, %2 with iDRAC password and %3 with the iDRAC IP.

Enabling Turbo Using WSMAN
To enable turbo using WSMAN, use the following content for set_controlled_turbo.xml:
<p:SetAttribute_INPUT xmlns:p=
"http://schemas.dmtf.org/wbem/wscim/1/cimschema/
2/root/dcim/DCIM_BIOSService">
<p:Target>BIOS.Setup.1-1</p:Target>
<p:AttributeName>ControlledTurbo</p:AttributeName>
<p:AttributeValue>Enabled</p:AttributeValue>
</p:SetAttribute_INPUT>

Disabling Turbo Using WSMAN
To disable turbo using WSMAN, use the following content for set_controlled_turbo.xml:
<p:SetAttribute_INPUT xmlns:p=
"http://schemas.dmtf.org/wbem/wscim/1/cimschema/
2/root/dcim/DCIM_BIOSService">
<p:Target>BIOS.Setup.1-1</p:Target>
<p:AttributeName>ControlledTurbo</p:AttributeName>
<p:AttributeValue>Disabled</p:AttributeValue>
</p:SetAttribute_INPUT>

6. Enable and Disable DPAT from DTK
The Dell Deployment ToolKit is used to script operating system installations. The script is used in a preboot environment and generally an existing installation is used to create configuration files to deploy. The bios settings are stored in the syscfg file but users can customize for their needs. The Dell DTK can be downloaded from Dell Drivers and Downloads website under Systems Management. More information can be found in the DTK manuals: Dell Deployment ToolKit 4.3. Add these commands to the DTK scripts:

Enabling DPAT Using DTK
Use the following command to enable DPAT using DTK:
Syscfg -controlledturbo=enable

Disabling DPAT Using DTK
Use the following command to disable DPAT using DTK:
Syscfg -controlledturbo=disable

7. Additional Information
Dell has released a White Paper on increasing performance and decreasing latency which covers many aspects of server performance: Configuring Low-Latency Environments on 12th-generation Servers.
More information on using the for iDRAC7 RACADM commands in the manual: RACADM Command Line Reference Guide.

I don't know if this is any help to you, don't know much about server boards yet, Intel also has a stand-alone overclocking tool that you might try.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.