Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

The new Quadro arrived, but I still do not have any video.  I also tried resetting the CMOS, but that didn't work, either.

I'm going to mark this as "solved" because I think I've hit a dead end.  However, I am going to try to find detailed instructions on how to blindly navigate the BIOS menu because *maybe* the PCIe slot(s) have been switched to compute.  Maybe.  Maybe not.

This post has instructions, but I'm not sure about all the times I may or may not need to hit Enter.  

I appreciate the advice.

HP Recommended

I will get you the nVidia PCI (not PCIe) card info on what was used by others to bood into a "primative" interface and get video back, and from there get into BIOS and reset PCIe slots from Compute to normal graphics.

This is worth the experiment.... otherwise a fine workstation has been rendered useless.

I'll have to dig a bit, but know I can find it tomorrow.

HP Recommended

Euriosm3,

The problem began with the installation of the PCIe SSD adapter. This seems clear as that appears to have been the only change between the GPU working and not working. 

In my view, the first action would be to remove the SSD adapter to eliminate that as a possiblity and try starting with a known working GPU in the primary slot.  An HD is not necessary for that test. The BIOS screen may well appear.

If the BIOS screen is visible, the SSD adapter must have set up a driver conflict.

BambiBoomZ

HP Recommended

Bambi,

Well, we're both trying to help!  I double checked with the OP that he'd not just gone back to the "last known good" status on a software level, but he said also on a hardware level.  I assume that means he removed the PCIe card/M.2 drive.  Who knows, but instinct tells me this is fixable.

There is a forum thread that talks about use of a specific PCI (not PCIe) card as a way a member worked his way out of a tough corner,  HERE.  This would be analogous to using a PS2 keyboard and mouse if one could not get the usual USB interface devices to work.  The PCI card used was a NVS280, and on eBay those go for about $13.00 USD, HP version.  He'd need one of the DMS-59 breakout adapters too.... I'd use a HP one if he wants to consider this approach:  HP Single DMS-59 to Dual DVI Y Splitter Video Cable 338285-005.

I don't use Linux, and have found the M.2 path in the ZX20 workstations to not be plug and play even if it involves the HP Z Turbo Drive version 1.  Personally I have shifted back to current SATA generation III A+ quality Intel or Samsung 2.5" form factor SSDs.  It will take a lot of cold boots at 6 second benefit in boot time each to recover from this M.2 experience....

HP Recommended

SDH,

Installing an NVS PCI GPU is certainly a good idea to be able to diagnose the problem.

The event that triggered the  display problem appears to have been adding the PCIe M.2 drive adapter. To try an immediate solution; that is, without waiting to receive a new part, it seems useful to try booting with the drive adapter removed (and dipslay connected to the Quadro 3800 or 4800) so as to take a the possible resources conflict of the new drive adapter out of the equation.  That could be tried immediately, with a few minutes work, and if successful, the system could be run on the preivous SATA-connected drive until the new drive configuration was sorted. 

M.2 SSD:  I still find some aspects of M.2 mysterious and as NVMe is an important drive technology that has a variable backwards compatibility, there is a lot to learn.

However, that said, the HP Z turbo Drive 256GB M.2 AHCI currently running z620_2 was actually the easiest drive installation I've yet made. That drive was, unknown to me when purchased, pulled from a z240 that had never been started. When I plugged it in z420_2 (E5-1660 v2) and booted, it went to Windows and said " Starting your system for the first time." It worked and was automatically activated Windows, also on z620_2 (E5-1680 v2) and z420_3 (E5-1620 v2). The z240 shares the z420/620/680 BIOS. -Thanks HP! In all these systems tests, Windows and programs and all ran with quite high peformance. In all three systems, Windows / Control Panel system identified the system as a z240. 

However, the later reinstallation of Windows to the Z Turbo was the most difficult Windows installation thus far. As you so generously assisted towards a solution, you know that I found installing Windows in UEFI mode on the Z Turbo problematic. I  could never invoke the Z Turbo's recovery partition nor discover a way to make an ISO that combined the three HP OEM Windows disks.  I installed a standard Windows ISO to the Z Turbo from USB as an learning experience, but as I did not have an product key in the end I installed HP Windows on a Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SATA and cloned that to the HP Z Turbo Drive  using EaseUS Partition Master. I also cloned that to the 850 EVO that runs z420_3 (E5-1620 v2).

Day to day, the few seconds saved here and there by M.2 is not noticeable, but in disk intensive operations and large transfers, It very welcome.  The second M.2, a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 500GB replacing a Samsung 860 EVO SATA 2.5" 500GB as the data drive was not difficult- install the 970 on a PCIE M.2 adapter, install the card in the 2nd GPU x16 slot (as it is the only open PCIe Gen3 slot) , download  and install the Samsung NVMe driver and the 970 works very well- transfers at 3.4GB/s as compared to 2.1 of the Z Turbo- 73GB in under 3 minutes is very pleasant.  I had to make three 1.1 to 1.4TB transfers recently on 3.5" SATA HDDs  (HST 7K6000) and wished- almost continuously for about 15 hours, that I had a couple of 2TB M.2 drives and that I was wealthy enough to have a couple of 2TB drives,..

Sorry for so much history, the relevance to this thread is in vavariability of issues that M.2 introduces, especially in the context of systems designed before the advent of M.2. (and, moreso, NVMe) as in this thread where the introduction M.2 may be upsetting the OP's PCIE configuration related to the GPU.  I can't recall another new technology that has generated so many queries and reports of uncertainty and problems.

BambiBoomZ

HP Recommended

SDH and BambiBoomZ,

Thank you both for the advice you've provided.  I'm weighing whether or not I should just bag the Z800, re-use the parts I can and build something else.  It would be a real shame to throw in the towel, and cost me more to start over, but I'm super frustrated at this point.  

I'll post back in a couple of days on which direction I decide to go. 

~ML

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.