Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello I have a HP Z420 Workstation w/ Xeon E5-1650 v2 and wondering if 4RX4 PC3L-12800L 32Gb  is compatible with my system 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry if their is confusion, No I have not install these yet. I was given 2 stick of the noted ram above and would like to know if they will run properly in my system. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

PC3L-12800L is only 1600MHz RAM, but your v2 CPU supports 1866MHz RAM (14900). This will limit your CPU's full potential.

It is always safer to buy only HP certified RAM when working with workstations, rather than simply buying based on the memory type. I would recommend you have a search on ebay for HP Z420 memory and you will see multiple listings. If you go to the HP Z420 Support website, you will find a Maintenance and Service Guide in the Manuals section. This details the supported memory module types and acceptable DIMM configurations.

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
HP Recommended

As Brial1965 posted,  the correct answer is that it's best to buy ram that has been certified to work with your specific system

simply buying HP labeled ram is no guarantee that it has been certified to work with your system as HP makes consumer workstation (and previously servers) systems 

servers and workstations  usually have a more stringent certification process for their ram than consumer based systems

and server/workstation memory subsystems are usually more complex than a consumer system.

so that HP labeled ram ,....was it made for consumer or server system? you can't tell unless you actually run the rams part number which may or may not be visible

and even if the ram modules are registered, which usually (but not always) indicates a server/workstation class is that module tested for YOUR memory controller? or another type of server/workstation/s memory controller? is the ram "LP" (low Powered), low profile, 1.2v or 1.5v?

ram for a HP DL380 server may not be  the best choice for use in a  z820 workstation

this is why using a ram venders memory selection guide or using a search engine if you know the modules part number or reading the system's pre tested/certified ram sheet should be used if you plan on using any computer in a mission critical environment

hobbyists, usually have more leeway as a issue with ram will not cost money but the time involved in swapping out incompatible ram for known working is still a pain in the PTA

so spend the time to determine WHAT WILL WORK before blindly buying ram based only on a label that says HP

HP Recommended

Thank you for the information so far. The part # I'm looking to install is M386B4G70DM0-TKO3 and looking to install 2 of them. Everything I've read to this point is mixed reviews, These parts are an upgrade to what I'm currently running and don't want to waist my time or have an issue with my unit. 

HP Recommended

This was from your original post:  "... and wondering if 4RX4 PC3L-12800L 32Gb  is compatible with my system."

I'm missing something... sounds like you're already running them and thus know they're compatible with your system.  In these workstations L memory does not run at the lowered voltage.  It is also rated to run at the higher of the two listed voltages for it, and that is what it does if you plug it in.  So, no green benefit there.

What really is your question?  It would be helpful to pull a stick and post a good pic of it.  I know what to do with that.

Of interest one can find exactly the same memory HP uses in its workstations also used by other high-end server builders such as IBM/Lenovo, Dell.  In the old days we talked of HP binning their memory so even if it had the same label from Samsung, say, it was better than if it was pulled from an IBM server.  Those days are gone, in my experience.

Having said that I like HP memory... but am not wed to it for what I'm doing, and careful eBay recycling has served me well.

HP Recommended

Sorry if their is confusion, No I have not install these yet. I was given 2 stick of the noted ram above and would like to know if they will run properly in my system. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.