Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I see that this thread is quite old, but hopefully, I can re-energise it?

I have an HP 8200 operating with W10, generally ok , but with one or two small issues. It's got bios v02.01, and looking at previous threads on this forum the recommendation seems to be to go to v 2.28.

I downloaded that (sp71294) on to a usb stick, but when I go to F10 and try load it, the message I get is that a file is missing or damaged. 

Could anyone suggest what the problem is?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

From what you posted, if you simply downloaded the exe file onto a USB flash drive, that isn't how you do it.

Here is what you need to do.

Download and run the v2.28 BIOS update file.

An information page will open.   Read the instructions under this section...

Startup Menu / F10 Setup BIOS Flashing

The HP Business Desktop systems provide a BIOS upgrade option through both the Startup Menu and the F10 Setup utility using the "Flash System ROM" feature. Reboot the PC and press the Escape key to display the Startup Menu. Use the arrow keys to select Utilities, and then select the Flash System ROM option. Alternatively, reboot the PC and press F10 to access the BIOS Setup utility. In the File menu, select Flash System ROM. Either method requires that removable media be present (USB storage or data CD) that contains the BIOS binary image file in the root directory. The binary image file can be found in the DOS Flash folder and is named xxx_MMmm.bin where "xxx" is the BIOS family, "MM" is the major version number, and "mm" is the minor version number. To create a CD for updating the BIOS, use a blank CD-R or CD-RW disk on a system with a CD-RW or DVD+RW drive, and write the binary to the disk using any CD-burning software (Windows 7 and Vista support burning data CDs without additional software). If a BIOS Setup password has been set, the password will be required before being able to access the "Flash System ROM" menu. The user is notified when the process is completed. The new BIOS code will not take effect until the PC is restarted.

View Contents of DOS Flash Folder

Here is a summary of what you need to do...

Get a USB flash drive.  Format it with the FAT32 file system.

Copy the file contents of the DOS Flash Folder that you click on at the bottom of the F10 BIOS flash instruction section.

Just the files, not the folder.

Restart the PC.

Immediately tap the ESC key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to get the menu of options.

Select the F10 setup option and press the Enter key.

Select the File tab, Flash system ROM command.

Select the USB flash drive.

The PC should now 'see' the files on the flash drive.

Follow the on screen instructions to update the BIOS.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

From what you posted, if you simply downloaded the exe file onto a USB flash drive, that isn't how you do it.

Here is what you need to do.

Download and run the v2.28 BIOS update file.

An information page will open.   Read the instructions under this section...

Startup Menu / F10 Setup BIOS Flashing

The HP Business Desktop systems provide a BIOS upgrade option through both the Startup Menu and the F10 Setup utility using the "Flash System ROM" feature. Reboot the PC and press the Escape key to display the Startup Menu. Use the arrow keys to select Utilities, and then select the Flash System ROM option. Alternatively, reboot the PC and press F10 to access the BIOS Setup utility. In the File menu, select Flash System ROM. Either method requires that removable media be present (USB storage or data CD) that contains the BIOS binary image file in the root directory. The binary image file can be found in the DOS Flash folder and is named xxx_MMmm.bin where "xxx" is the BIOS family, "MM" is the major version number, and "mm" is the minor version number. To create a CD for updating the BIOS, use a blank CD-R or CD-RW disk on a system with a CD-RW or DVD+RW drive, and write the binary to the disk using any CD-burning software (Windows 7 and Vista support burning data CDs without additional software). If a BIOS Setup password has been set, the password will be required before being able to access the "Flash System ROM" menu. The user is notified when the process is completed. The new BIOS code will not take effect until the PC is restarted.

View Contents of DOS Flash Folder

Here is a summary of what you need to do...

Get a USB flash drive.  Format it with the FAT32 file system.

Copy the file contents of the DOS Flash Folder that you click on at the bottom of the F10 BIOS flash instruction section.

Just the files, not the folder.

Restart the PC.

Immediately tap the ESC key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to get the menu of options.

Select the F10 setup option and press the Enter key.

Select the File tab, Flash system ROM command.

Select the USB flash drive.

The PC should now 'see' the files on the flash drive.

Follow the on screen instructions to update the BIOS.

HP Recommended

OK, I’ve run the sp71294 download and that has opened up to show DOSFLASH and HPqFLASH folders and 7 other files. I’ve located the BIOS binary image file in the DOSflash folder.

So, I now need to put some of these files (not folders) on a USB stick and reboot pressing ESC, but I’m not very clear about this; can you clarify for me?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi:

After you have formatted the USB flash drive with the FAT 32 file system, you only need to copy all of the files listed in the DOS flash folder to the USB flash drive.

You can ignore everything else that shows up inside the sp71294 folder.

Specifically, you should be only copying and pasting the following 7 files from the DOS flash folder to your USB flash drive...

DOS Flash (Application)

DOS Flash (Text Document)

flshuefi.cpu (CPU File)

J01_0228.BIN (BIN File)

MD5 (Text Document)

README (Text Document)

SHA256 (Text Document)

Remember that you are not booting from the flash drive.

You tap the ESC key to get to the F10 setup option and once inside the BIOS setup, you select the File tab, Flash system ROM command.

Then select the USB flash drive.

HP Recommended

a thing to note is that if the system you are trying to update is not certified by HP for win 10 you should not use the windows bios flasher and only use the DOS, or from within the Bios use it's Flash Option as Paul mentions in his post updating this way is much safer as updating this way bypasses the OS and the DOS/Bios update methods  have been tested to work by HP

again,....using a windows bios updater designed for a previous OS under windows 10 may render your system with a corrupt bios as the windows based updater program may not been tested by hp under win 10 

also the 8200 elite should also have a firmware update for the intel AMT, that should be applied only if you use it, if you are not using it (AMT disabled) you can skip the update for it 

HP Recommended

Yippee!!! T'is done and now running 2.28. Many thanks - would never have done that without your help.

I've been running this old 8200 for a couple of months with W10 for really basic home-office work and it's been fine except that it occasionally refuses to wake from sleep. When I checked the BIOS, it was running 2.01., so updating that seemed a good idea.

If you have any other ideas about curing the wake up problem, those would be appreciated.

Thanks

B

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Both of my 8200 Elite CMT's that are running on W10 Pro with BIOS v2.28 don't have that issue.

I am trying to think of what I may have done differently, and the only thing that I did was to use the W7 chipset driver directly from Intel and the W7 Intel RST driver, which I installed manually.

Before I share the actual process for those suggestions (if you want to try them), I need to know a couple of things...

1.  Are there any devices listed in the device manager with little ! marks next to them?

If there are, those need drivers.

If so, please name the device(s).

2. In the device manager, click to expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers device manager category, and give me the name of the Sata AHCI controller listed there.  Is it a Standard AHCI controller, or is it an Intel Desktop/workstation/server express chipset sata AHCI controller?

3.  What is the driver version and date of the Intel Management Engine Interface device?

You will find that device listed under the System Devices device manager category.

It should be 11.0.0.1157 dated 7/7/2015

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.