Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Really appreciate this discussion and HP expert Paul gave some valuable answers and advise here. I recently get the same HP Compaq Minitower 5800 Desktop computer donated to our centre to help train new immigrant basic computer skills. I am looking for a upgrade video card as well. I do not plan to use this as a hardcore gaming monster, just something within $CAD 50 to make the video solution better. The discussed AMD 6450 1GB/2GB seems a great option and Micheal already tested. However, what about Nvida GeForce GT730 2GB video card I had before? The PCI express 16 difenitely fits, however, as soon as I plug it in, my computer won't boot at all, not even able to boot to the F10 CMOS screen. I checked BIOS/CMOS settings and did a bit research, find no solutions about force the computer to use the integrated video chip first and then allows me to install proper driver from the original NVIDA optial disc comes with the actual video card. I checked the power supply, 300 W for sure sufficent for this in my experience. Any suggestions?  (Bought this GeForce GT730 2GB video card from https://www.ebay.ca/itm/392324875608)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Glad the video card is working for you.

The fix to your dilemma is simple.

Those old PC's BIOS' can't differentiate between adding an audio card and a video card with a HDMI port, which carries audio out as well as video out.

So what happens is the BIOS automatically disables both the onboard video (as it should), and the onboard audio.

So what you need to do is:

Restart the PC.

Tap the F10 key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to get access to the BIOS setup menu.

Go to the Advanced tab>Device Options.

Find the onboard audio setting.  It will be set to Disabled.

Change the setting to Enabled.  Save the setting there and again when you exit the BIOS.

Upon restart and returning to Windows, the onboard audio should be working again.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

The dc5800 has a legacy BIOS, and you need a PC with a UEFI BIOS in order to run a nvidia card from the 700 series on up.

If you prefer a Nvidia card, the GT 210 should work.

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much Paul, I bought an ASUS AMD HD6450 1GB VGA DVI, it works beautifully for me. However, ever since I installed this card and get it  running with official AMD driver and associated programs, the internal speakers stopped working. Any known incompatibility issue? Or, have you heard of anything like this may happen? I even tried plugging in a external PC speaker or use a headphone, still no sound. Before the installation, the sound was indeed working. Any thought of what might have gone wrong?

HP Recommended

Hi:

Glad the video card is working for you.

The fix to your dilemma is simple.

Those old PC's BIOS' can't differentiate between adding an audio card and a video card with a HDMI port, which carries audio out as well as video out.

So what happens is the BIOS automatically disables both the onboard video (as it should), and the onboard audio.

So what you need to do is:

Restart the PC.

Tap the F10 key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to get access to the BIOS setup menu.

Go to the Advanced tab>Device Options.

Find the onboard audio setting.  It will be set to Disabled.

Change the setting to Enabled.  Save the setting there and again when you exit the BIOS.

Upon restart and returning to Windows, the onboard audio should be working again.

HP Recommended

I set both the Integrated Audio and the Internal Speaker options to Enable. Bingo, the sound is back. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.