Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z8G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I've got an HP Z8G4 system that came preloaded with Windows 10.  I need to get a server OS installed on it.  I've tried Server 20196 standard and Server 2019 standard.  Every time I try to install the new OS, the setup program gets to the point where it needs to reboot the system.  It reboots, then I get an error message: "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME."  System automatically reboots again after that and restores previous OS.

I've spent several days searching online for a solution.  The most common one I see is to re-install the OS, but installing an OS is exactly what I'm doing when I get the error.

Any other advice?

Thank you,

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@TMG9804 

This is the Consumer support forum for HP; We don't provide support for Server OS versions.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi, @TMG9804 

See if this HP support document is of any help to you...it is for installing Windows Server 2016 on various model HP Workstations.

4AA6-9620ENW.pdf (hp.com)

If not, perhaps @DGroves or @SDH who both have a considerable amount of experience with the HP Workstations, can be of help to you.

HP Recommended

error message: "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME.", is usually seen when the Drive itself has a problem.

if possible remove the drive and connect it as a secondary drive in a working system and run the drive makers diagnostic tools on it

this can also be caused by a hardware incompatibility between the server install media and the system it's being installed to

what is the systems hardware config?

have you tried new install media from microsoft?  (select ISO) not Azure from this page

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2019

last, a clean install is required you can not upgrade from win 10 prof to a server OS as this will cause all sorts of weirdness

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.