Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP xw8600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

im trying to install Windows on an HP xw8600 but I believe I have to change some bios settings around. 

I currently have a hard drive attached that has windows installed and a windows live USB. 

can someone point me in the right direction

thank you 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi

Create Windows 10 installation media

To get started, you will first need to have a license to install Windows 10. You can then download and run the media creation tool. For more information on how to use the tool, see the instructions below.

That is where I would start.  

HP Recommended

Windows 10 Pro 64 runs very well on the xw6600 and xw8600.  Those have a newer type of memory controller than the xw6400/xw8400 and they can run 8GB sticks of memory that the xwX400 family can't .  Thus I like to load every other slot with the 8GB sticks for best memory cooling.  I'm working on a xw6600 project right now and with 4 of those sticks W10 is quite responsive.  I'm telling you this so you know there is hope.

Regarding your BIOS question:  HP builds in "Factory Default" BIOS settings, and you can go into BIOS, under the first tab,  and select those, and load them.  Don't forget to save them on the way out of BIOS.  Try that first, because someone before you may have entered a bunch of BIOS settings that were perfect for their hardware but not yours.

A couple of other tips:  That is a SATA II workstation.  It will run a boot/applications SSD very nicely and my recommended one to buy is the Intel 320 series 600GB version you can find used on eBay, and to get a non-HP one.  You can see the HP part number and name on the SSD label and those are not the ones you want because they have a firmware that is difficult to update.  The non-HP ones can be firmware updated easily via the Intel ToolBox utility, which works very well.  In this day and age not having a SSD would be a big mistake.  A fast video card also makes a big difference in the user experience..... I don't play games so my recommended one to get is the nVidia Quadro K2000 or even better the K2200, used off eBay.  The first one is significantly less expensive, and well balanced in speed to the xw6600/xw8600.  The K2200 has more benefit than just more memory.  It has spicy sauce in its hardware.

BIOS update.... check that you have the latest which is 1.46.  If not then update it from within BIOS.  We've posted on that here but if you can't find that let me know and I'll help.

HP Recommended

This is the 8GB/stick memory to use, and which I've used for years in these xw6600/xw8600 workstations.  32GB is a nice amount for a W10Pro64 build.  You can find a set of 4 on eBay for $27-32.00 USD currently.

EBE82FF4A1RQ-6E-E

These are Japanese Elpida black sticks..... the memory slots in these HP workstations have alternating white/black plastic sockets.  Put one stick in each black socket, and leave the white sockets empty for good memory ventilation.  I upgrade the processors too... you can find QuickSpecs documents for these workstations to see what HP certified for them.... find later versions for the most accurate info.  Processor ugrades are quite inexpensive these days.... but you want to have BIOS upgraded to latest before doing a processor upgrade to make sure the BIOS supports the new (used) certified processor if you choose to do that.

HP Recommended

Hi there,

Really appreciate your post, I've managed to get the Windows 10 installer going from one of the USB ports and I now have W10 running off my SSD with a spare 3TB hard drive. I also installed an AMD graphics card and so far things are running very smoothly. 

I'm going to look at getting the RAM you recommended as I am only running 8GB currently and would like to go for 16 or 32. 

I will be doing the upgrade to the BIOS as well as it is behind. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.