Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk 800 G3 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Unable to boot to DVD/CD or USB Thumb Drive.

No options to disable or enable Legacy in BIOS (Legacy is on but grayed out).

Only UEFI is available.

BIOS is updated.

PXE boot is disabled.

USB device boot is checked.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Many BIOSes work so that if you disable secure boot  in BIOS, the next time you boot the system will ask for a 4 digit code that should have become visible when you selected the disable secure boot option in BIOS.

It is just an extra confirmation that you really want to do it.

In UEFI you can use several boot managers.

Hitting the F9 when you start the computer should bring up the built in UEFI boot manager.

Windows 8/10 also has a built in boot manager that ican be accessed when you restart Windows with the Shift key held down.

The Windows boot manager will let you select whatever bootable device is available (Select Use a Device when the option screen opens).  May still need to have the secure boot disabled but worth a try even without.

People are using their precious remaining lifetime to try and help, so it is common courtesy to come back and tell what the solution eventually was even if you found it elsewhere. It is for the benefit of everyone.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

You will probably need to have also secure boot disabled. If it asks for the 4 digit confirmation code some say you need to enter it with the numeric keypad.

On laptops with the Insyde BIOS this seems to be easier, just keep hitting the F9 key for boot menu when you start and select the boot device from there.

Did you by any chance try the Windows boot manager? (Keep Shift down when you select Restart from Windows).

Sorry about the vague reply as I don't have a system to test with, but at least some things to try.

People are using their precious remaining lifetime to try and help, so it is common courtesy to come back and tell what the solution eventually was even if you found it elsewhere. It is for the benefit of everyone.
HP Recommended

I have no idea how to disable secure boot by using a code.

I don't know what you mean by "using" Windows Boot Manager. I did set USB as the priority in the BIOS. 

HP Recommended

Many BIOSes work so that if you disable secure boot  in BIOS, the next time you boot the system will ask for a 4 digit code that should have become visible when you selected the disable secure boot option in BIOS.

It is just an extra confirmation that you really want to do it.

In UEFI you can use several boot managers.

Hitting the F9 when you start the computer should bring up the built in UEFI boot manager.

Windows 8/10 also has a built in boot manager that ican be accessed when you restart Windows with the Shift key held down.

The Windows boot manager will let you select whatever bootable device is available (Select Use a Device when the option screen opens).  May still need to have the secure boot disabled but worth a try even without.

HP Recommended

There is no option to disable secure boot in the BIOS.

I get the UEFI boot manager, but when I make the choice, it goes back to the list of choices then boots to Windows instead.

HP Recommended

I found secure boot options and was able to enable legacy. Thanks

HP Recommended

Can you maybe detail how and where you found the precious information

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.