Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 with Combo Cable
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to get my new G2 dock working with my ZBook 15 G5 laptop. So far, I've:

• Tried installing drivers from here, but ran into issues for the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 - Firmware (which seems kinda important). Running the sp136180.exe that gets downloaded, I get to the part where it's scanning for your device. Here it just exits with no confirmation of whether it was found. So I then went into the setup folder and ran HPFirmwareInstaller.exe manually. I see it trying to find my device but it gives up eventually.
    zjwilliams20_0-1647801502759.png
    zjwilliams20_1-1647801834425.png

Here's the log file as well if this means anything. I then tried restarting and trying again but no success. The other 3 drivers either seemed to install properly or exit abruptly like the above one did.

• Tried following this article, which seemed relevant, but I don't seem to have the Thunderbolt Software application they mention (probably part of the drivers above that wouldn't install).
  • Contacting support over the chat. Both times I've done this, the representative asks a couple questions, sends me the same link with the drivers I've already tried, tells me to restart my computer, and then it's over. So now I'm on my second dock but still no dice.

Any pointers in getting this thing working? This thing's been collecting dust on my desk for about a month now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Update: victory!

After seeing this post, I tried installing HP Image Assistant. This pointed out some weirdness in my driver setup and helped me install the right ones, specifically with my Thunderbolt Controller and BIOS.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Update: victory!

After seeing this post, I tried installing HP Image Assistant. This pointed out some weirdness in my driver setup and helped me install the right ones, specifically with my Thunderbolt Controller and BIOS.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.