Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
T630
Microsoft Windows 10 IOT

About two months ago we updated our HP Device Manager gateway from version 4.7 SP8 to version 5.0.

During that time we haven't had much need for imaging new thin clients however recently we've discovered anytime we connect a brand new TC to the network, it no longer populates into the database, so we can't do anything with it. I'm not sure where else to turn besides our vendor support. I've done IP address scans to no avail and since we never had to do that in the past, it shouldn't make a difference now.

My other thought is since the new thin clients we are getting still have the 4.7 Agent installed on them, the version mismatch is causing issues but I'd fully expect HP to make the new gateway version 5.0 backwards compatible. All of the existing devices which still have the older Agent version are working fine - we are able to manage them without issue. It's just net new devices which are being added to the environment that are not appearing.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

So HP has once again made a fool out of me. Turns out, the gateway version is NOT backwards compatible for discovering new devices on a network. 

Just took one of our brand new ones, which have the 4.7 agent installed, upgraded that, and the console immediately found it, but it created a new category called "Windows-64" in addition to our Win10IoT and Win7 categories.

So now I get to figure out to downgrade our gateway to the most recent SP of 4.7 until the thin clients start getting shipped with the version 5.0 agents.

HP Recommended

HPDM 5.0 is backward compatible for discovering devices with 4.7.x Agent installed.  From your experience, I'd guess they got discovered but showed in the 3rd OS "Windows-64".  This is the OS for PC conversion suite.  Our thin clients are shipped with a built-in HPDM Agent for thin client.  And the Agent for PC conversion suite is different.  They cannot be replaced with each other.

I am an HPI Employee.
My opinions are my own and do not express those of HPI.
**Light the thumb up if you like my post**
HP Recommended

I have many T620 thin clients running agent version 4.6.x that I still need to manage with my recently upgraded HP Device manager 5.0. Any suggestions on updating these T620 agents?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.