Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Z820 Workstation
Other

Hello Community,

I am looking for the HP version of the SAS2308-IR 19.00.00 and 20.00.00 firmware update for the HP Z820 Workstation embedded SAS2038 I/O controller.  I am currently on version 18.00.00 and it is a bit buggy. Can anyone provide me a current download link or is this something that I need to contact HP support or order some sort of software kit. I have been in-touch with Broadcom and they caution against using the firmware on their site as this is an OEM controller and their software would in most cases brick the controller or cause other expected issues with the workstation. 

Thanks In Advance For Your Support,

[edit]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

as far as i know  version 18 is the latest release on the z820 and broadcom is correct, flashing the generic SAS2038 firmware will result in a non working controller at best and a non functioning board at worst

i have a z820 MB with a defective SAS controller (will not show attached drives) and tried several different firmware's to see if i could resolve the issue so i know firsthand what happens with most firmware's when flashed onto the z820 and in my case most of the firmware's i tried were from other oem's that used the same chip on their boards (like super-micro)

i strongly recommend you pick up a aftermarket LSI or adaptec 8000 series pci-e controller and simply disable the onboard LSI chip in the z820 bios

note that if going this route, your LSI card must use a different firmware than the onboard chip's firmware or you will be unable to disable the onboard lsi chip as the disable command will affect both onboard and the pci-e card

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

as far as i know  version 18 is the latest release on the z820 and broadcom is correct, flashing the generic SAS2038 firmware will result in a non working controller at best and a non functioning board at worst

i have a z820 MB with a defective SAS controller (will not show attached drives) and tried several different firmware's to see if i could resolve the issue so i know firsthand what happens with most firmware's when flashed onto the z820 and in my case most of the firmware's i tried were from other oem's that used the same chip on their boards (like super-micro)

i strongly recommend you pick up a aftermarket LSI or adaptec 8000 series pci-e controller and simply disable the onboard LSI chip in the z820 bios

note that if going this route, your LSI card must use a different firmware than the onboard chip's firmware or you will be unable to disable the onboard lsi chip as the disable command will affect both onboard and the pci-e card

HP Recommended

I have been debating on using one of two LSI SAS adapters in this machine. I have a LSI SAS-9240-8i cacheless but it does both RAID and JBOD or my LSI SAS-9207-8i does not do RAID. I will running VMware vSphere v6.7U2 on this machine and need a stable controller. VMware still supports the LSI SAS-2308 with the latest drivers, but I can't find anything later than version 18.00. Oh well, such is the case. Thanks for the tip on the firmware version for the PCI-e card.

Thanks Again,

Charles A. Windom Sr.

HP Recommended

if using vmware a lsi-9240 or even the 9207 cards are not recommended for some builds as both of these cards are what LSI called basic lowend cards.

if you read up on the vmware forums you will see what most users think of these cards for vm usage with the 9207 being preferred over the 9240

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.