Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z8 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I received a new HP Z8 G4 with 3 x M.2 NVME drives over two NVME adapters. I am trying to install a Win10 image via Configuration Manager over PXE. It keeps installing onto the second NVME drive on the first adapter (while the OS that it came with is in the first NVME drive) I have subsequently performed a secure erase on all NVME drives, but still goes to the second. Anyone experienced the same thing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Koshaugh,

Try locating the target OS drive in the permanent original boot drive position (adapter and slot) and removing all other drives of any kind - NMVe or mech'l HD, before installing.

BambiBoomZ

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Koshaugh,

Try locating the target OS drive in the permanent original boot drive position (adapter and slot) and removing all other drives of any kind - NMVe or mech'l HD, before installing.

BambiBoomZ

HP Recommended

there are a few reasons for this some can be,......... different SSD types PCI-e/SATA/ or the PCI-E ssd slot positions or boot order in the bios

also, your 3 ssd's on 2 m.2 cards indicates one card has dual ssd's and this card unless it has boot circuitry cannot be a boot device unless using the intel matrix raid

HP Recommended

Thanks BambiBoomZ,

I wanted to maintain a situation whereby if I needed to restore the machine via Config Mgr  \ SCCM, that whoever was doing it would not need to know to remove any other drives to do so. I took your advice in part by isolating the NVME drive I wanted as my OS drive on the 1st adapter and putting the other two onto the second adapter. This worked for me, so thanks for the steer to a resolution. Ken

HP Recommended

Thanks DGroves for your advice. I got it to work by isolating the OS drive on the first adapter and putting the others onto the second adapter. Ken

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.