Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Who can tell me, which PCIe SSD card (standalone or M.2)
works in the Z600 (v2)

at the moment i have a LSI 9270 Controller with 2 SSD and 4 SAS drives (Raid 5)
Works fine, but want more drive speed.

And yes 4 extra SAS drives (have a 4x2,5" in the 5,25" cage)

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

any SSD reguardless of it's form factor will work as a boot/data drive long as it's a "SATA" interface

the z600 will not boot from nvme drives although they can be used as a data drive

and yes i know there were a handfull of nvme drives that had the nessary oprom nvme code to work on legacy systems but thes drives are uncommon and no nonger a current retail product

the two fastest SATA drives were the PCI-E x4 samsung SM951 (SATA ver) and the intel 750 pci-e card

your current setup of LSI controller + SSD is about as fast as your going to get on a z600 even raid -0 on that card is pointless due to it's PCI rev 2 buss

to gain more speed you could add ram and setup a ,  cachecade on the LSI controller

https://www.pugetsystems.com/parts/Accessories/LSI-CacheCade-Pro-2-0-FastPath-for-LSI-MegaRAID-Contr...

or a ram disk on the OS,

anything else requires a intel x99 or newer chipset to gain pci-e 3.0 buss speeds and nvme support, in other words a new computer

i don't know about which AMD chipset started support for PCI-e 3 and nvme support you'll have to google this info

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

There is a search bar available on each page.  Try looking for:

M.2 PCIe SSD in xw and Z400 Z600 Z800 workstations

HP Recommended

these Posts are most 2 Years old.
i need Part-numbers, because under the name predator there are different type of cards.

Or other actual Cards that have legacy support.

Thats because i ask this again after 2 years.

HP Recommended

Those are no longer made because those workstations listed are so old that the one source I found does not make them any more.  However, you can find them if you search the internet (both new and used).

Time to search for a new computer, maybe?  I also very much like the Z600, but have found that 2.5" form factor SSDs are where I need to focus.

I don't have any input for you about what PCIe card you should choose to get SATA III speeds from these SATA II generation workstations.  However there are multiple posts in this forum on that issue by others.

Good luck to you on your project!

HP Recommended

my Z600 has 2 X5650 CPU´s 48GB RAM and the LSI 9270 SAS/SATA III Controller

my 2,5" SSD is on Sata III. the onboard SATA is not in use.

HP Recommended

any SSD reguardless of it's form factor will work as a boot/data drive long as it's a "SATA" interface

the z600 will not boot from nvme drives although they can be used as a data drive

and yes i know there were a handfull of nvme drives that had the nessary oprom nvme code to work on legacy systems but thes drives are uncommon and no nonger a current retail product

the two fastest SATA drives were the PCI-E x4 samsung SM951 (SATA ver) and the intel 750 pci-e card

your current setup of LSI controller + SSD is about as fast as your going to get on a z600 even raid -0 on that card is pointless due to it's PCI rev 2 buss

to gain more speed you could add ram and setup a ,  cachecade on the LSI controller

https://www.pugetsystems.com/parts/Accessories/LSI-CacheCade-Pro-2-0-FastPath-for-LSI-MegaRAID-Contr...

or a ram disk on the OS,

anything else requires a intel x99 or newer chipset to gain pci-e 3.0 buss speeds and nvme support, in other words a new computer

i don't know about which AMD chipset started support for PCI-e 3 and nvme support you'll have to google this info

HP Recommended

Thank you for your comment.

more RAM than 48GB is not possible in the Z600.

OCZ 240GB SSD Solid State Drive PCIe x4 OCZSSDPX-1RVDX0240

i
Know that nvme is not working. Thats because i ask here.

normaly all PCIe Card that use the AHCI protokoll should work.

Also the the HP TurboDrive Gen1, or not?

HP Recommended

I have some of the HP Z Turbo Drive generation 1 M.2 SSDs..... tried to get them to work in the same Z600 v2 I have one of the Kingston Predator M.2 AHCI-controller PCIe SSDs working in.  No success despite using all my tricks.

HP Recommended

the HP turbo pci-e cards are unique in that they have  2 jumper blocks  allowing up to 4 of these cards to be installed in the z8xx line of workstations the pci-e cards do not work in other systems, but might if you change the jumpers to another card address the ssd's on the cards however do work in other systems in most cases but this is not guarenteed as they fun custom HP firmware so some systems may have issues XM941/SM951 (Sata ver)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.